Evolution Rage 5S Table Saw Wobbly Fence

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all for the replies.

Yeah the fence only wobbles when it's not locked/clamped down, I'd never cut when not locked down :)
Glad (I think) to hear it's not just mine that has this issue, I normally angle the fence away from the blade when locking it down to ensure there is no pinching. I'll try pulling the fence towards me to straighten it up and also half locking it down.

Will take a look at the tensioning nut and make sure all is good.

I have contacted the manufacturer, but given the fact this seems like it's a "feature" of the saw/fence I doubt anything will come of it.

I think this is the wrong way - you PUSH the fence away from you, into the saw, so that the black 'T' section is firm against the track, as you lock it down. (At least, that's what I do!!)

Sorry to resurrect this thread...

I have the same saw, and the same issues. You can slacken off the two bolts on top of the fence and try and square it up with the blade, but I've not been able to get it 100%.

I also noticed that the fence is bowed in the section (), which makes it pretty useless when trying to keep anything up straight. I contacted Evolution about this, they were kind enough to replace the fence - though the one they send had the same problem. Looks like a defect with the stock fence.

This is now an old thread but something tells me that at the pricepoint of the Evolution Rage 5S it’s unlikely to be upgraded soon. Like others I had the deviation of the rip fence on the far end as I clamped it on the near rail. On closer examination under the lever clamp mechanism, I came to the conclusion that the left and right nylon guides were not parallel to the guiderail. I unscrewed one and used a bit of blue tape and insulating tape as a shim. Two years of frustration and my problem is solved. When I clamp the fence it no longer deflects on the far end as the play has been corrected at the clamp end. HTH

Attachments

• IMG_2016.jpeg
    IMG_2016.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Should add the tape is on the left in the image and, unhelpfully, is white over blue but you get the idea. Too much tape and the fence will not slide freely, so the amount of wobble and direction of deflection will dictate how much tape you need and on which side to place it.

This is now an old thread but something tells me that at the pricepoint of the Evolution Rage 5S it’s unlikely to be upgraded soon.
There's actually a new version of the Rage5S coming soon. They haven't announced prices yet, but it has a much sturdier frame, rack and pinion fence (which will solve the biggest issue most have with it of the fence being wobbly or not square!) and in general looks like a massive improvement. Evolution have been surveying users in the facebook group to work out what features were most desired:

Screenshot 2024-03-19 at 14.27.42.png

If it's in the same price ballpark it'll be seriously impressive.

This is now an old thread but something tells me that at the pricepoint of the Evolution Rage 5S it’s unlikely to be upgraded soon. Like others I had the deviation of the rip fence on the far end as I clamped it on the near rail. On closer examination under the lever clamp mechanism, I came to the conclusion that the left and right nylon guides were not parallel to the guiderail. I unscrewed one and used a bit of blue tape and insulating tape as a shim. Two years of frustration and my problem is solved. When I clamp the fence it no longer deflects on the far end as the play has been corrected at the clamp end. HTH
That’s very helpful Alun thank you. I’ve had my Rage for a few months now and suffering the same problem (first table saw…wish I’d forked out for the Dewalt with rack and pinion but there we go).

I’ll be trying that workaround very shortly!

Back