everyone given up baking?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was working outside for a while yesterday, so this loaf came out with me to cool:

fK7JI4R.jpg

A bit lopsided, but another decent granary loaf (I make 2 or 3 of these a week).........100g strong white, 100g wholemeal, 300g granary flour.

I use the Tesco sachets, they are powdered in 7g sachets in a box of 12 i think, just the correct amount for one 500g loaf. I have used granules and fresh but find the powder easier, just pour in in the bowl first, then the flour then the water. After bout a minute of mixing i put the salt in.
Which ever size loaf i make i use 50% boiled water and 50% cold mixed, the the dough a kick into life, the water temp is just right.

The one things that i find a bit awkward is the amount of water to use. For a plain white load i use 640g of water. If you make a wholemeal or granary loaf you need more water likewise a fruit loaf.
I made a fruit loaf last week and it looked great but after leaving it overnight the sultanas had soaked up most of the moisture. Adding more water never really made it right for some reason, same goes for granary or wholemeal, those flours soak up the then water big time.

On a different note i made a Pizza last night, i used 300g strong bread flour, 200ml water (mixed hot and cold) 7g powdered yeast and 2 tbl spns oil. Put it in a mixer and ran for about 5 mins. Dough came out very good and gave the best pizza i have ever made. Dough was really stretchy indeed.

hawkeyefxr":3vbvzuuk said:
The one things that i find a bit awkward is the amount of water to use. For a plain white load i use 640g of water. If you make a wholemeal or granary loaf you need more water likewise a fruit loaf.
I made a fruit loaf last week and it looked great but after leaving it overnight the sultanas had soaked up most of the moisture. Adding more water never really made it right for some reason, same goes for granary or wholemeal, those flours soak up the then water big time.

The hydration ratio is key to a good loaf and, as you've found, adding ingredients which soak up water (or conversely those which are over saturated) messes with that balance. With ingredients like dried fruit the answer is generally to pre-soak them first.

Thank you hawkeyefxr that was helpful will give it a try. I presume it is the "fast acting yeast"?

John

I use 300ml of water for a 500g loaf.

My process is to boil the kettle, put 200ml of cold water in a measuring jug, when the kettle boils top up the 200ml to 300 and give it a quick stir. should be at the correct temp immediately.

I knead my dough by hand, mainly because I work with computers all day and I find it therapeutic to go analogue.

My biggest problem is waiting for it to cool before scoffing it... that part needs more practice.

phil.p":2wz9idxl said:
My mother and grandmother always soaked the dried fruit in cold black tea.

I did know that but completely forgot to do it.

hawkeyefxr.

I have tried your method and the first attempt was ok, but the crust was soft.
100g strong flour
7g yeast, Alison's Yellow tin
300ml cold water
7g salt
Mixed all together and left overnight
Following day:
400g Strong white
60 ml olive oil
Poured the preferment in and mixed in Kenwood with doe hook and continued to mix for 5mins, sort of kneading!
Left in covered bowl for 1hr, it did not seem to rise very much
Shaped it and into a proving basket for another hour.
In the meantime I had got the oven to Gas mark 8 and put in marble slab, worktop protector from Wilkco.
Into oven for 30mins having sprayed the interior of oven with cold water.
Tasted good but very soft crust.
Any pointers most welcome.
John

Roxie":1jkztuj1 said:
hawkeyefxr.

100g strong flour
300ml cold water
7g salt
Following day:
400g Strong white
60 ml olive oil
Poured the preferment in and mixed in Kenwood with doe hook and continued to mix for 5mins, sort of kneading!
In the meantime I had got the oven to Gas mark 8 and put in marble slab, worktop protector from Wilkco.
John

You don't add the salt to the preferment. It's probably killing off your yeast too early.

I will try and add the salt with the remainder of the flour the following.
Thank you for the tip.
John

Roxie":1ujm0mj0 said:
hawkeyefxr.

100g strong flour
300ml cold water
7g salt
Following day:
400g Strong white
60 ml olive oil
John

You seem to have combined two recipes together, i think.
The no knead mix is
3 cups of strong bread flour
1 1/2 cups of warm water (i mix 50/50 boiled and cold to get the correct temp)
1 tsp powdered yeast
1 tsp salt (added after the dough water and yeast have been mixed)

Just stir it all together, it will be quite a sticky mix but thats ok.
Leave at least 12 to 15 hours

Then knock it back using plenty of strong bread flour, put it back in the original bowl that has been cleaned out and floured and leave for one hour. At the 40 minute mark turn the oven on to get good and hot, 240c with the cast iron pot and lid in the oven.

At the one hour mark remove the cast iron pot and drop the dough in, put the lid one and return to the oven for 30 mins.
After the 30 mins if you want a thicker crust remove the lid and give it another 10 mins at 240c.

When it comes out it may well still be a little soft but let it cool down and you will have a nice crusty loaf.

MikeG.":264oh4p8 said:
thetyreman":264oh4p8 said:
.......When I have made bread it's been amazing taste but it only lasts 24 hours before it's hard as a rock

Sounds like you need more oil in it, and of course, you must store it wrapped in something air-tight. We use old cereal bags.

I spoke to an old friend, a commercial baker with decades of experience - he said it was a shame they could no longer (realistically) use animal fats as their bread would be better and stay edible/usable longer.

Latest posts

Back