Everest front door, £4,250?!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
adzeman":2ttht7mz said:
Purchasing PVCu doors (or windows) can be a minefield, at the Council we were members of the South London Window Association a body designed to bring uniformity into the process. Standardising locks catches etc. and I would attend the meetings. What I found was there is a fast difference in quality in the products both in material adn quality of material, construction and source of material and price. I have to say that Everest were always expensive always failed to make the lists. We were always being checked over by The Friends of the Earth mainly on the source of the plastic (chemicals) as in the 90’s a lot of the material was coming from Eastern Europe where pollution was not a priority. All factory’s had to be checked out. We had some hairy demonstrations to contend with. Some groups are against PVCu no matter what. When the orders were placed a process was entered with tenants who had taken up the option of “Right to Buy” and they would be given the cost buy which they would be charged and then the arguments would start! On average the cost of a front door was in the region of £2,000 pounds. The first complaint would be, there’s a bloke out side our supermarket offering me a door for £500.00 and then we would have discussions on quality security etc. an important factor on an inner London Estate. My point is there are many factors in the price of a PVCu door and If your relation wants to cancel then cancel, the Law will I am sure back him up.
Cheers

With all due respect though, the local authorities and other public groups don't always get the best value for money in my experience.

I used to supply semi finished plastics and were sometimes not on the lists of approved suppliers. I supplied exactly the same brand and quality materials but up to 30% cheaper than the approved companies whilst still making an acceptable margin. I still got much of the business as the clerks of works and buyers would just split up the orders to keep the invoiced ammounts under the limits for them to buy without requisitions.

I supplied a lot of sheet polycarbonate for example and 6mm thick in a bus shelter at 30% less cost was a large saving. Just because a door costs £2k doesn't meen thats what it's worth in terms of quality!
Even more for the prisons on wall cladding and polycarbonate where I was horrified to find that the "prefered supplier" was selling at full retail and charged delivery on top!
It was 25 years ago so might be different not though somehow I doubt it.

Bob

When I was at college I was offered a place working for/with said company as as a wooden door advise person basically seamed good money so went in for a training day after 20 mins off being told to basically add my own commission and target old people so you can get more I picked up the piece of paper with all my details on and walked out with our a word! There sick people

With all due respect though, the local authorities and other public groups don't always get the best value for money in my experience.

Your not wrong but we did try with success. When we did large schemes we usually got it right as there were a number of checks and balances to go through. Where it would go wrong would be in February when some Neighbourhood manager had a substantial sum to spend before the end of the financial year and get that bloke from outside the supermarket to install windows and doors on some of his stock then I would spend some of my repair budget over the next 5 years trying to maintain the rubbish ironmongery and poor seals. I have not even mentioned the codensation. Thats life

adzeman":3qkcxlxv said:

Your not wrong but we did try with success. When we did large schemes we usually got it right as there were a number of checks and balances to go through. Where it would go wrong would be in February when some Neighbourhood manager had a substantial sum to spend before the end of the financial year and get that bloke from outside the supermarket to install windows and doors on some of his stock then I would spend some of my repair budget over the next 5 years trying to maintain the rubbish ironmongery and poor seals. I have not even mentioned the codensation. Thats life

Definately a no win position to be in Mike and I well remember the crazy requests we had at end of budget year when they needed to spend it or lose it!

I have had some interesting encounters with the local authority though. As self employed builder I was approached a few years ago and asked to build a brick wall housing a sandstone nameplate outside the county hall offices at very short notice. This was in preparation for a visit by the Queen and no expense was spared, all the block paving paths were renewed, gardens replanted and everything in sight painted. (The Queen must think the whole world smells of fresh paint :wink: ).
I accepted the job knowing it was in full view of some 20 clerks of works, building inspectors and planning officers and on the condition that everything was on site including specially made bricks from Birmingham, engraved stone plaque, coloured ready mixed mortar, concrete etc as there was no electricity or water available.
The wall was maybe 2 mts long and 1.2 high but they made me dig the founds 600 wide and 750mm deep into very hard stoney ground and fully fill with concrete. All the detail shaped top bricks were missing and they sent someone by car to Birmingham to collect. :roll: No mortar had been ordered and they had forgotten to paind the incised lettering on the nameplate so it was impossible to read from further than 10 yards. Numpties, couldn't organise a p*ss up in a brewery :lol: I had to lay a hosepipe and extension cable across the road to a fire station to get the job moving.

I was still working 12 hours before the queens arrival but at least they kept their promise and paid me within 2 weeks. I turned down later requests for obvious reasons.
Maybe I should have asked for a "by royal appointment" seal as I heard the Queen was suitably impressed :wink:

Bob

This was in preparation for a visit by the Queen

Similar instance, The Queen traveled regularly on a certain Main Road to Dover and had commented on the tatty state of windows on a block of flats so I had to replace all the windows that faced that road!. What annoyed me it was in the Thatcher years when we were being starved of funds. I dont know if they ever did the other elevations not in my time though.

phil.p":3gqz0tg6 said:
:lol: I thought for one awful moment that you were going to say that it was knocked down after the visit!

:lol: :lol: Yeah, post turned into a bit of an essay - sorry about that :)
It will be standing long after I'm gone - could have built a 20 mtr high statue on that foundation...now there's a thought!

Similar instance, The Queen traveled regularly on a certain Main Road to Dover and had commented on the tatty state of windows on a block of flats so I had to replace all the windows that faced that road!. What annoyed me it was in the Thatcher years when we were being starved of funds. I dont know if they ever did the other elevations not in my time though.

It's a different world to the one we live in Mike!

Just a point about cancelling orders etc. My daughter was charged an interest fee which should not have been applied because she had cleared her no interest HP payments on time. The company was not being helpful when she queried it, so she made a facebook posting telling all her friends (and anyone else in the country who cared to read it) about what the firm did. It didn't take the firm long to contact her with a 'How can we help you?' message. Bad publicity is not good business.

K

Same daughter, 2 quotes for uPVC windows and doors. One at £1900, the other at over £7000, different manufacturers but both well known.

K

We were quoted £17,500 by Everest for 8 pvc windows and three doors (one composite, two glass) That was WITH a 60% discount, plus a further 10% if we signed up there and then. In the end we had them supplied and fitted for £2800 by another company.

Nearly 30yrs ago Everest quoted £3500 for 4 windows and a door - on a £15,000 house. I had asked for a "back of a fag packet" guess, and the salesman wasted two hours of my time and his and then walked off in a huff when I wouldn't sign up.

phil.p":a28lmtjg said:
Nearly 30yrs ago Everest quoted £3500 for 4 windows and a door - on a £15,000 house. I had asked for a "back of a fag packet" guess, and the salesman wasted two hours of my time and his and then walked off in a huff when I wouldn't sign up.

In the early days of double glazing salesmen drove Mercs and had lavish lifestyles.

My father got a quote from them, he's 83. They sent around a very nice lady and after 3 hours of chit chat and measuring up for two doors and 6 windows she hit me and dad with the figure of £22,000. But if we signed up and paid there and then we would get it discounted down to £18,000. Dad was on the point of saying yes and if I wasn't there would have. I showed her the door in quick time. She turned from this lovely sweet lady to snarling demon, saying how she really didn't want to waste her time and we should have said we weren't serious about placing an order. I then went round to a small local firm and asked if they could supply the same spec items and I and my sons and partner would fit them. For exactly the same doors and windows we were quoted ..................wait for it..................£1800 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh yes and a few days later this guy rang up sounding like Del Boy saying they might have made a mistake on their quote and maybe they could bring it down to £15000 if we paid there and then. I politely told him and his company to F**K OFF !

Grayorm":3mmaf865 said:
phil.p":3mmaf865 said:

In the early days of double glazing salesmen drove Mercs and had lavish lifestyles.

A lot still do!

Sorry but that is just extortion!

As one time owner of the largest double glazing company in the Southampton area, we never charged more than £1200 for a composite door with all the options.

And I still drove around in a brand new Merc :mrgreen:

yesterday one of the reps came to my house.....
As by protocol, he stayed for 3 HOURS! and he started the typical show.....
we are amazing, we do this, we provide only the best....£6000 for a front door!!!!
After being told that there were no chances, he came out with an additional discount, 10% here, 10% there (by the way, they are not saying the full truth about the 10% discount they are offering.........one could expect the discount to be applied to the full quotation, instead nop, it is applied to the quote after other discounts (in my case it would have been for only £430 rather than £600).....I told him that this, for me, was cheating and misleading people....
After 3hours, after repeating several times that I would have not bought the door the same day, he used the pathetic excuse of --I need to call my boss to check-out- in front of us (and not when OUT of the house as every single person in this world that does a similar jobs does)....and they offered another discount -if I had taken up their offer at that time....

unbelievable, fortunately I had read a lot of reviews in different forums.....so I already knew about the show that he would have put up!!!
Botton line.....guys...avoid Everest!!! it is true that their products are of very good quality....but their selling techniques..... awful!! I am also wondering if it is legal to blow the price so much for then offering fake discounts and bring the price down to normal-ISH prices.......

Much of this thread is centred around the fact that Everest are not the cheapest home improvement company. :shock: and how windows can be had from Bodgit and Leggit for 1/4 the price
Wow, tell me something I didn't already know :roll:
And in case you didn't realise, stay away from Bentley showrooms, theyre more expensive than most cars and you might be wasting your time looking at Patek Philippe watches, they're more expensive than Sekonda
I wouldn't have Everest around for the same reasons I wouldn't test drive a Rolls Royce ie I would be wasting the salesmans time and they have the same need to earn as everyone else

It's not about being a bit more expensive, it's about extortion and hard pressure selling. Even now after the banks have been pulled up for it, and energy companies ticked off, this still seems to be a 'legitimate' method. Works even better if the prospective client is on their own and/or getting on a bit. I'd like to see companies like this forced to repay any monies extracted in this way.
This might make a good campaign for 38 degrees.

If you buy Bentley or Mercedes, etc., there are added-value things that explain the higher price of the product: better/more complex engineering, better after-sales service, higher performance, etc.

The original price quoted in this thread was so extreme, compared to the average price for such things, that you can't possibly make a valid comparison with luxury cars.

It may not have been Everest policy (I have my views on that), it may have been one 'rogue' salesperson, but the fact remains it was an attempt to take full advantage of a customer who didn't know the common price of what they were being sold.

Irrespective of who instigated it, it was certainly highly immoral and I regard it as a useful warning.

E.

A very important factor is the cancellation period. If you invited them in, there isn't one. If they canvassed you it's 7 days and you have 14 days on any finance irrespective of whether you contacted them or not.

Latest posts

Back