European saw makes/models versus North American?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you need some detailed and hard won experience on a move like that from the States to Europe / UK, let me know.

I did the move a year ago and brought virtually everything I could due to advice from Scrit and others. It was a good thing I did for several reasons!

In a nutshell - bring it all and more ..... you won't regret it and you'll almost certainly save a chunk of money.

If you need some more details and practical points - drop me a PM

Ploget

Hi,

I'm bringing all my hand tools. All the tools powered by the air compressor. They don't plug in so no worries.

My drill press and bandsaw. Hopefully the motors can handle a step down convertor. If not both have easy to change motors.

I've got a small planer. This one would be a pain to change the motor.

Problem is I'm likely going to be in a small rental place with my stuff in storage while I buy and ready a home.

Does it really make sense to haul even more stuff? A table saw is the only major tool I'd like to add but the idea of dealing with shipping it plus the power issues don't appeal to me.

Hi Nick

At the risk of triggering a "minefield alert".....

It is fairly straightforward to get hold of a 110 volt site transformer here in the UK (for example, almost every tool hire shop sells them) - these step-down voltage from 230 volt mains to 110 volts (actually 55 volts centre tapped) which will happily run many 120 volt electric power tools. The problem tools are those with electronic speed controllers (e.g. routers) where the frequency may be an issue depending on how the speed control actually works. I've run the old Porter-Cable routers (691 D-handles) here on a transformer for years without problems and my kit also includes Sioux angle drill, P-C profile sander (variable speed) and a Makita wetstone grinder, all 110 volt and all of which work OK here. I did try a Milwaukee variable-speed router a few years back and that wouldn't run at all.....

When it comes to static tools there is a slightly different set of problems. Most static tools use induction motors, where the frequency of the power supply dictates the speed at which a motor rotates. As you know we have 50Hz mains power here rather than the 60Hz you have in the USA. All of this means that your motors will spin at 2850 rpm (3000 rpm less allowance for friction, slippage, etc) as opposed to 3450 rpm (3600 les, etc...) - and they'll run hotter, too, which can shorten the life of the motors (to compensate European motors frequently have heavier windings and slightly bigger fans, I'm told). Were you running on a 110 volt site transformer you'd need to ensure that the transformer was big enough to take the starting load - roughly 1.5 times the rating of the largest motor you'll be running for most woodworking kit. So if your largest motor is, say 3 HP (approx 2250 watts, 1 HP is approx. 750 watts), you'd need a transformer of around 3300 to 3500 watts. The nearest match is going to be a 3.3kVA (3300VA) transformer (and to any electrical genii out there I apologise for the crude calculations). You'll know you have heat problems if your motors have thermal ovearload protection and they always tripping out..... Compressors, however, start up with the motor under load (after all the receiver/tank generally has some pressure in it) and you'll probably need to double the motor rating to arrive at a suitable transformer size.

If you're concerned about getting it right (and prolonging the life of your motors) then the obvious solution would be to move to an inverter capable of delivering the correct voltage and frequency - however that is going to be a much more expensive option (possibly £300 to £500 as opposed to under £100). The choice is yours.

A final thing to consider is plugs. We use a completely different (BS 1363) 3-pin plug in the UK for 230 volts mains which is nothing like the NEMA standard plugs you have in North America (and complete unlike anything else in the EU, except for Ireland):

bristand.jpg

So you'll either have to invest in some conversion cables with a BS.4343 (CEE Typ-17/IEC 60309) 110 volt plug at one end and a Nema 2-15/2-20/5-15 socket at the other end, bring some NEMA sockets and make-up your own conversion leads (as NEMA sockets are like hen's teeth here) or rewire everything with BS.4343s. To use a site transformer you'll need a yellow 3-pin plug, rated 110volts 2 pole + earth (2P+E). A good make is Walther. Wikipedia has a useful entry on the subject

There's some useful information on plug types and power supplies worldwide over at Wikipedia. A British supplier of various cords is IDC Plugs Ltd who seem tio be able to supply cords for most purposes.

Good luck!

Scrit

I was going to pickup the voltage convertors here. They seem cheaper-) Plus this way I only need a plug adapter for the converter with the tool plugged into the converter.

Still most of the electrical stuff I'm bringing would either be too expensive to replace or would be worthless on the used market. I've been avoiding buying powered things since I started planning this. Figure it'll be better to buy the stuff there then to have to deal with power issue. But I've been stocking piling hand tools whenever they go on sale.

Philly
I am going to look at the exact same saw on Friday - do you have any advice on what to look for, and what do you think of it?
Regards
Martin

Scrit, very useful advice on USA tools working in Europe. At least you get the heat from an induction motor free of charge.

Latest posts

Back