Eternal Bookshelf

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcW

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Eternal, because I nearly needed a year to complete. Here's the first pic, showing it fulfilling its destination.

bookshelf22.jpg

But let's see at the beginning, where two 2 inch planks awaited a then straight rip saw, which now is kinked.

Bibliothek_1.jpg

After a lot of hand planing and later on with the help of a british thicknesser 4 frames could be glued together. Looking at the following pic, you'll see two of them jointed with 4 rails. All in all there were 36 tenons and mortises, twins and haunched currently with 4 shoulders.

bookshelf23.jpg

The panels that got into that construction were made by a #45 and a small Rapier plow plane. The tongues by the Stanley.

Stanley45_5.jpg

And the grooves by the Rapier. Both of the planes got a new wider and longer fence made of walnut plywood.

rapier1.jpg

After the panels, I made the supports for the shelves. I went for sawtoothsupports and here is how they finally look alike.

bookshelf15.jpg

Here is how I made the supports. First marking and a little sawing with an old lady.

sawtoothsupport2.jpg

And then some paring with a guide, which can be tricky as it has to be checked for exact fit constantly.

sawtoothsupport4.jpg

sawtoothsupport5.jpg

sawtoothsupport7.jpg

sawtoothsupport8.jpg

sawtoothsupport9.jpg

The top panel followed and it looks like this from the front, it features a molding.

bookshelf16.jpg

This is how I imagined the molding.

bookshelf06.jpg

A beading tool from LN and an Ulmia fillester with a slightly larger wooden fence did the job on a single ripped board which will match fine later on.

bookshelf08.jpg

I then glued the two battens with the help of some nails of which I pinched off the heads. The nails prevented the battens to move during the clamping.

bookshelf09.jpg

The molding plane did not fine on the lower edge, it chattered and despite a new longer wedge it kept on chattering, now clogging too.

bookshelf24.jpg

Chatter marks are here.

bookshelf10.jpg

Smoothing the top panel with a LN #164 pitched at 60° EP. It was all I needed :^o

bookshelf19.jpg

Here's the glue joint, which succeeded very well, thanks David :wink: And the #212, my rescue for marbled grain, you know those nasty spots.

bookshelf11.jpg

The final step is to make and to fit in the shelves. The piece near the floor is open, because of the floor heating. The cover for the plugs is best I could imagine at that point and I woul redo it, if I could see it every day, but after the wax had dried, SWMBO found easily some books to put into the shelf, hiding the ugly thing. Most of the piece is hand work, machining just with the thicknesser and the plug cover with a tailed router.

bookshelf14.jpg

bookshelf17.jpg

Thanks for looking and I have a problem with the molding of the top which I find it is not well succeeded, i.e not enjoyable, lacking some fineness. I'd be glad to hear your opinion.

Cheers

Absolutley gorgeous Marc. =D> I love it! and how big is your workshop :mrgreen:

An excellent job - it looks beautiful - in fact to good to use!

The wood choice and colour is really good! Wow! :D

Bravo Marc!

Exquisite piece of work. Thanks for a great set of photo's - really enjoyed reading the post and it was interesting to see you make the sawtooth supports! Good use of a chisel plane. You have a nice collection of bronze :)

I bet it was hard work ripping all that timber! I don't evny you there.

I think it's great that you did all this with mostly hand-work, It's nice to see someone else who shares my ethos - albeit i've not yet completed my hand project.

The only thing now is SWMBO is on at me to make a nice book-shelf/sideboard :)

Keep up the good work Marc!

Very nice, Marc =D> I really like your work and have been following this on your blog, but it's nice to have these additional details and WIP photographs.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Very nice piece of work with unusual shelf supporting system. Not sure I would have done it that way but excellent none the less - Rob

That's really nice. Another classic WIP thread - many thanks for making the effort to take all the piccies - very much appreciated.

Really nice job there.

I especially like the the saw-tooth shelf-supports and the use of hand tools overall. Not a bit of sandpaper in sight - if only I could sharpen a smoothing plane as well as I woud like. And you even ripped those planks down with a hand saw - very well done.

I think the top moulding looks fine. I bet it's one of those things that constantly plays on your mind because 'you know it's there', but I bet nobody else makes a bad comment about it! :wink: :D

C'est elle bonne.

(excuse my french)

Nice to see a hand made project and your photographs of the progress.

Thanks for showing.

Thank you all for the compliments! Your kind words are motivating and pulling me to the next project, which will be a coffee table matching the bookcase.

I added my blog adress to the details of my profile.

Actually much of this bookcase is hand work, but in order to be more productive I think of getting a bandsaw. I bought a circular handsaw for ripping the big planks in future and I think it is a good idea. Hard work like ripping is okay for me, the main poblem is yet still my limited spare time. Almost a year to complete such a work is simply too much. So a bandsaw will add some speed and ease.

Again thank you!

I think it is truly amazing what you have done with hand tools.
We all can get a little caught up in the next toy to make the next project easier - but its lovely to see hand tools expertly applied and what a stunning piece of work comes out the other end.

Well done - you inspire me to better work.

David

A lovely piece of work and thanks for the pictures and comments. I'm doing more by hand than I used to and it's stuff like this that gets me going (I still use machines a lot though).

Nice collection of planes, by the way!

Ted

Latest posts

Back