Ercol chair?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMACLEOD05

Reaction score
Hi, I love doing up bits of furniture, just for myself. I recently bought this chair and wondered if anyone could identify it as an Ercol or another brand of chair? There is no name underneath it
Thanks šŸ˜Š

Attachments

• 9960C8B1-FD41-45B9-931A-DBDEC1F327D7.jpeg
    9960C8B1-FD41-45B9-931A-DBDEC1F327D7.jpeg
    954.1 KB · Views: 0
  • D31F132B-3396-4338-B754-1855E499A449.jpeg
    D31F132B-3396-4338-B754-1855E499A449.jpeg
    925.2 KB · Views: 0
I agree, it looks a bit "wrong" for ercol, interesting though. One difficulty tracking such things down is that the Arts and Crafts movement, which sort of fizzled out after the 1914-18 war, was a movement not a single organisation. Lots of independent high quality makers sprung up all over the country, often undocumented. I can't tell the age from the picture but it might just have been a small local workshop somewhere.

2 things you might try if you want a pleasant hour or few. One is to go to ercol.com, about us, archive and trawl through their catalogues which go back decades. The second is visit vam.ac.uk, the V&A museum, select collections, put chair in the search box and then use filters to narrow down the thousands of results. If you tick the with image box, no point seeing words about stuff with no pictures, you might find something close enough to give you ideas. At the very least you get to see really interesting chairs :)

I agree, it looks a bit "wrong" for ercol, interesting though. One difficulty tracking such things down is that the Arts and Crafts movement, which sort of fizzled out after the 1914-18 war, was a movement not a single organisation. Lots of independent high quality makers sprung up all over the country, often undocumented. I can't tell the age from the picture but it might just have been a small local workshop somewhere.

2 things you might try if you want a pleasant hour or few. One is to go to ercol.com, about us, archive and trawl through their catalogues which go back decades. The second is visit vam.ac.uk, the V&A museum, select collections, put chair in the search box and then use filters to narrow down the thousands of results. If you tick the with image box, no point seeing words about stuff with no pictures, you might find something close enough to give you ideas. At the very least you get to see really interesting chairs :)
Thank you very much, thatā€™s really interesting about the V&A, Iā€™ve checked Ercolā€™s back catalogue and couldnā€™t find it. So will have a look at the V&A. Cheers.

I think it is an Ercol, I have two Ercol Evergreen chairs, Just ordered seat webbing from Skiddaw Upholstery, Very knowledgeable person who should be able to identfify the Ercol model number. Their telephone number is 01768779741, perhaps send them a photograph.

Close but no cigar! Ercol Chair
Yeah, I found that one too. So close!! šŸ˜„. Thank you
I think it is an Ercol, I have two Ercol Evergreen chairs, Just ordered seat webbing from Skiddaw Upholstery, Very knowledgeable person who should be able to identfify the Ercol model number. Their telephone number is 01768779741, perhaps send them a photograph.
Thank you so much, thatā€™s really helpful. Will get in touch with them šŸ˜Š

Latest posts

Back