epoxy for tabletops

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWD

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all!
I've been researching these live edge epoxied table tops for a while now and i'm thinking of making a coffee table for the 'rents.

For all the instagram savvy members you may have seen 'blackforestwoodco' - if you haven't i would recommend it, they're a fantastic account. - these guys regularly do 20+ litre pours of epoxy to join two half slabs.

It's always been my understanding that epoxy heats as it dries, so too thick a pour will produce a cracked result. I got in touch with the aforementioned account and they told me the epoxy they use was 'liquid plastic' and that the curing reaction was slow and produced little heat so that they could pour as thick as required.

Has anyone got a clue what i'm on about and if there are any similar products in the UK? id like to make a few of these tables but the cost/time taken balance would be far too low for me to probably even break even if i had to do 1/2" pours at a time...

i'd appreciate any info at all
Joe

I saw "Average Joe" ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dXDfvU65YI ) having a go a little while ago and asked what he used:

http://www.mbfg.co.uk/water-clear-casting/axson-translux-d150-water.html

It is 2litre pours but self degassing so no bubbles to worry about.

If you're doing it as a hobby, I can't see it'd be an issue, pour it Sunday night and it'd be ready Tuesday when you got back home from work. There's also nothing (perhaps space?) stopping you making multiple tables at the same time so you could, almost, be pouring new layers all the time.

It certainly will heat up if left in a container with a small surface area relative to volume and can ignite spontaneously - not recommended!

Jim

That website is good! i might have to give them a ring.

I notice they also have polyester resin that also drys clear, and is about 1/3rd the price of the polyethylene resin or epoxy, but it says that the finish is 'tacky' which to me means sticky to the touch - any resin gurus know if i could do a thin & cheap layer of high qual epoxy followed by a larger pour of the polyester resin? are these two materials compatible?

cheers all

joe

Back