EPDM roofing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Calling @Sideways
He’s just finishing his garage roof with rubber stuff. I know he researched it fully and went on a course on how to install the stuff he selected. As we say in Yorkshire, he does it proper!

I used it for the first time back in the summer it really was easy, the only thing I did different to the video I watched was to roll the rubber up from one edge to the middle & unroll it as I spread the adhesive. That seemed a much easier way to do it rather than trying to brush out a flat sheet, particularly as I was doing it on my own, I also used a J roller as I went along.
It literally took me a couple of hours & that included fitting the edging & drip trim on a slightly unusual shaped roof.

4F57761E-0450-4909-8DED-3B45F7AAED08.jpeg

I bought my roofing from rubber 4 roofs, I also bought their fitting kit which meant I had everything I needed, I found them really easy to deal with & very helpful.

Last edited:
I wanted a tougher EDPM than the standard. Something that would tolerate foot traffic.
The logic is that we want to put plants on the garage roof. Not a full on green roof but just to make some use of it.

My project began when the bitumen roof failed after 20 years. I was always planning to DIY it and as expected I ended up replacing the firrings as the original builders got it all wrong 40 years ago - there was no net fall on the roof.
With Deema's help I replaced the deck with a twin layer of OSB3 (18+11mm) as I couldn't get the 25mm board that I wanted.
I then replaced the fascias.
Finally fitted Carlisle Resitrex SKW EDPM membrane that comes in 1m x 30m rolls. This is thicker than single piece EDPM, has a reinforcing mesh and a bituminous back surface. You prime the deck, allow to dry and then position the membrane before pulling out a back sheet at which point the membrane instantly sticks - contact adhesive style.
There's a 50mm overlap between sheets and you have to hot weld that with a proper barrel type hot air gun (620C and a 40mm fan tail nozzle) rolling down as you go with a 40mm silicon roller. You look for the bitumen bead squeezing out to show that you have a waterproof seam.

20221023_152032.jpg

20221023_154142.jpg

I did the 1 day course at rubber4roofs in the midlands where they teach you about seaming and how to do corners. The cost of the day was paid for by the 10% discount on materials that I bought from them.

Resitrex SKW is rated as root safe if you want to put a green roof down, and is robust enough for light foot traffic such as use on emergency exit routes. Ordinary 1 piece EDPM isn't - that's rated for occasional maintenance foot traffic only. Resitrex is good stuff. Far more substantial that you put on a garden shed, but you can't afford to get the welded seams wrong, so it requires a degree of commitment to DIY it. :)

I'd recommend wholeheartedly to anyone if you get it professionally fitted. It's not hard, but it's a craft skill so the guys who do it every day will be quicker and neater than a first time DIYer.

Last edited:
I worked on buildings with several flat roofs from decades ago - they tended to not to shed water by design as the water stopped the bitumen etc. drying out. One large one in particular must have held several hundredweight of water virtually all year.

This shed is only 2.5mtrs x 3.5mtrs and the heaviest thing that'll ever go on it is pigeon excrement.

Get a single piece EDPM. No seams, no chance of a leak. Used that on my shed.
The primer for the roof is water based with that. Like thin copydex applied by roller.
I made a point of easing the apex of the roof and glueing down a 4" wide strip of rubber along it before applying rhe full sheet.
The ridge seemed like the only point where the membrane might be vulnerable over twenty odd years.

I worked on buildings with several flat roofs from decades ago - they tended to not to shed water by design as the water stopped the bitumen etc. drying out. One large one in particular must have held several hundredweight of water virtually all year.

This shed is only 2.5mtrs x 3.5mtrs and the heaviest thing that'll ever go on it is pigeon excrement.
Think you might find seagull poo weighs more!🤣🤣🤣

Any advice? Anything to avoid?
  • Don't apply it if it's freezing
  • Roll the sheet back instead of folding
  • Apply all the PVA and then all the contact adhesive at edges.
  • Check roof for sharp bits first
  • Leaf blower good for clearing roof of dust and debris
  • Get help lifting the EPDM up onto the roof :)
Martin

I did a roof with it recently. I was surprised how easy it was really.
My roof was about 4m square it was quite heavy to carry up the ladder.
My substrate was osb 3 and I am glad I took the time to fill the screw holes and quickly run a belt sander over the roof to smooth down any splinters etc. Any lumps and stuff will show quite obviously.
I left the sheet quite a few hours to flatten out and it was hot weather as well. The centre was water based glue then the edges with contact cement.
If you follow the manufacturers instructions it's pretty fool proof.

Got mine from SIG which was a few quid cheaper than online places and I could just pick it up straight away. Just tell them the size and what edges and they work out what you need.

Ollie

I found installing it pleasantly straightforward. Getting the membrane up the ladder singlehanded was a challenge. I was lucky with the weather but despite leaving the membrane flat to relax, I still had a small ridge where it had been folded.

Research your supplier. Although I paid extra for next day delivery, it didn't arrive for several days and items had been seriously abused in transit. Contacted them directly, got no explanation, no apology, no refund of the delivery premium, suppliers weren't interested.

Last edited:
Just done mine. Another thumbs up for Rubber4roofs, can’t imagine using anything else now, it was so simple. Needs to be applied at more than 4deg over 48hrs so time is running out for this year, I felt I just got away with it.

Back