engraving letters onto wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawdust1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Just got the go ahead to make a new parish notice board, but they require the header board to be engraved with the name of the parish council.

Does anybody on here carry out engraving on wood or know where i can get it done ? Thanks.

sawdust1":be992guc said:
Hi all. Just got the go ahead to make a new parish notice board, but they require the header board to be engraved with the name of the parish council.

Does anybody on here carry out engraving on wood or know where i can get it done ? Thanks.

Maybe not quite what you are after .... but the current issue of Good Woodworking has an article by Mailee about sign making. End result looks good and it's done with a router.

Hi, I have done several engraved signs, a few of them where for one of Haven's holiday parks in Pwllheli, North wales.
But I may be a bit too far away from you?

Regards,
James

Charlie Woody":yr3jt04p said:
sawdust1":yr3jt04p said:

Maybe not quite what you are after .... but the current issue of Good Woodworking has an article by Mailee about sign making. End result looks good and it's done with a router.
Which issue is that Charlie? I didn't realise they had published it again as it was in an old issue? oh and thanks for the comment. :wink:

mailee":2oaj4m66 said:
Charlie Woody":2oaj4m66 said:
sawdust1":2oaj4m66 said:

Which issue is that Charlie? I didn't realise they had published it again as it was in an old issue? oh and thanks for the comment. :wink:

Alan
Issue 263 page 66. By the way what font did you use please?

Ive printed out the text before, right height, then altered the style, and width of the letter to suit your cutter. Spray mount seems to stick the paper on well enough, but is fairly easy to peel off after you've routered through it. I prefer to use a 60 degree v cuter instead of 45- cant quite decide why now though :D

Thanks Charlie, i will have to see if I can get a copy. it was along time ago but I am sure the font was called Dauphin. i usually just choose one that i think looks nice for the purpose. HTH. :wink:

Hi guys, thanks for all the ideas, in 25 years as a furniture maker this is the first time i have needed to do this and probably the last so i will not be looking into purchasing any kit to do the job. I had not thought about carving but maybe this would cost to much. I have had a couple of offers from people with cnc machines so will probably go down this route.

I had not thought about carving but maybe this would cost to much.

It may be worth getting a quote; I had to use a (metal) hand engraver for part of a job recently and was surprised at how reasonable the price was; and it would look the business while supporting traditional crafts etc. CNC would serve perfectly well though.

Hi

I would be happy to do this for you.

Kind Regards

Attachments

• williamselfsign.jpg
    williamselfsign.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 77
Back