end sealing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
morris":wynbhcbf said:
Hello there
I have started to turn some green wood yesterday.
two bowls, where the wood was not so green, turned out ok
but the oak bowl I tried to turn end grain is not so good
shoul I only turn facegrain???

morris, there is no such thing as "should or should not" as far as turning wood, anything you turn will be a learning experience that can't be taken away from you.
Some items you may not like the look of or the results you obtained are not what you expected, so be it, next time do it differently or try and find out why your results differed from what you have seen elsewhere.

Yes there are broad rules as to what you might expect or even things that are unlikely to succeed but how are you to know if you do not try.

Green Oak by the way is almost guaranteed to fail you in one way or another when it dries, especially if you are end grain and the core is still in place.

Just concentrate on applying the tools, every cut is a learning cut and if on the way you learn that some don't work all that well or treating a bit of wood a particular way does not work then don't do it again, not for a while at least.
There will come the day when you look back and think why did I have so much trouble with that, and possibly you will be able to work out why.

I turn a lot of end grain wood, most of my bowls have been end grain, mainly because of the type of wood I use, branches etc. The main thing to be aware of is that it could either split or warp if it dries out too quickly or if the heart wood is a lot wetter than the rest. I have been fortunate and only lost a few but it's a risk I am prepared to take at the price I pay :lol: :lol:

Pete

Back