Elu trouble

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
My Elu MOF 96 electronic router has developed a fault that when I run it the speed fluctuates. I have just renewed the brushes so it isn't that does anyone know what the problem might be? I suspect the electronic speed module which is around £44 to replace but I don't want to spend the money on just a hunch. Has anyone had this problem with their Elu 96?

Hi,

Firstly let me say that what follows is nothing more than speculation/an educated guess. It is based on what I've read on here about other routers by other makers, and on the Black and Decker service Information Diagrams (start page here - you'll have to drill down to the Elu MOF96E section, then look at the parts diagram - I used the "MOF96E----A TYPE 1" - quite easy when you look at the site but a direct link always seems to fail). Of course, only go ahead if you're confident you can safely do so.

Now, looking at that MOF96E parts diagram, I notice part no. 65 is a "pole piece" that fits over the armature. It looks to me as if it rotates inside or near part 59 (the speed regulator). It may be that this pole piece has some magnetism that allows the speed regulator to measure the spindle speed. If this is the case, and if the pole piece is worn or damaged, it may not be spinning at spindle speed (ie it may slip) and may therefore be giving false information to the speed regulator. If this is the case, then replacing or just re-seating the pole piece may be the solution.

Once again this is just a guess; I have read that the same problem affects some Freud routers, and think it likely to be the case for your Elu as well.

Hey Neil, a big thanks for that. I shall check this out and hopefully if it is this it will save me some moeny. I have had the Router for around fifteen years without any trouble and this is the first thing to go wrong with it. I suppose if I do have to spend money on it I can't complain as i have had my use out of it, (It does get some stick) I will have a look and let you know what I find, Thanks again. :wink:

Well Tigerturnings, I have checked the rotor on top of the router and it is solid I am sorry to say. I was hoping this was the problem as it would be easy to sort out. Strangely enough since I have had it apart and given it an oiling and a cleaning it doesn't seem to have done it again although I am sure it is not running at full speed. Well it is stil working for the moment but I shall keep my eyes peeled for another one just in case. Thanks for the info, I will keep my fingers crossed it lasts out until next month and payday.

Back