Elm Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malcolm R

Reaction score
After lurking here and admiring the work of others I thought it was time to post my latest project – a table. When I started the project I took lots of pictures but forgot in the middle so the build “jumps” somewhat.

HPIM1962_resize.jpg

HPIM1963_resize.jpg

The wood is elm and the finished table is 750mm square and 450mm high. The finish on the table is sanding sealer and wax.

I started with two boards, each approximately 2m x 380mm x 40mm

HPIM1957_resize.jpg

First job was to cut them to approximate length, joint them and glue sections together to give me three pieces about 760mm wide.

HPIM1958_resize.jpg

HPIM1959_resize.jpg

Two rows of biscuits were used.

After further planing I was ready for the dovetails.

HPIM1960_resize.jpg

This is where the fun began and the pictures stopped! The problem is the thickness of the wood as my dovetail saw would not cut the full depth. My solution was to cut as far as I could then tip the blade at an angle to get down to the scribed line at either side. You can see in this photo the difference in the thickness of the wood and the depth of the blade.

HPIM1964_resize.jpg

Removing the waste was the next challenge – started with a coping saw but that was hard going so I next tried the router but that is scary and I made one, very, small mistake. After going back to the coping saw for a bit I next tried the jigsaw which worked fairly well.

After much sawing and chiselling the three pieces were assembled – no dry run as I reckoned I would only get one chance. I am not sure if my joints were too tight or if it was simply the problem of trying to slide wide, thick boards together but I found that the easiest way to assemble was to use clamps and tighten each in turn to slowly pull the pieces into place.

Despite my best efforts, a few of the joints were not as tight as I would have liked so I inserted a few small wedges to fill the gaps before giving the whole table a final plane. The last stage was to cut a curve on the bottom of each side. I reckon most people would suggest doing this before assembling the table but I wanted to keep the bottom edge square for assembly – easier to avoid marking with a hammer if you can get a block on it! The cut was made with the router and a template and a lot of praying.

Lessons learnt: I need to practice dovetails more, routers may remove waste quickly but things can also go wrong very fast and have the courage to stick with my instincts – I convinced myself that one joint was too tight when I knew it had been marked carefully and I was right (one more joint with a wedge)!

Very nice work, Malcolm. A couple of other members have had trouble with the stability of elm, even after it's "dried" - did you notice any problems during your build? Your timber looks thicker, so you may not have had the problems of movement, I guess.

Thanks to all for the kind comments.

OPJ":3b04ohwk said:
A couple of other members have had trouble with the stability of elm, even after it's "dried" - did you notice any problems during your build?
I didn't notice any problems with stability during the build. It remains to be seen what happens over the next few months.

Malcolm

A few years ago I was sub-contracted a job to make a table and bench seat in 3" teak to the same design as yours. I spent ages pondering how I was going to cut the dovetails efficiently but the job never happened as the end customer never came up with the deposit. So I will never know how I would have done it!
Yours looks good - I can't see any problem with the dovetails - I expect you've done what I would have done and hidden them at the other end :D

Cheers
[another] Malcolm

That's a very attractive table. We don't get to see much Elm projects here in the States due the
the blight that has decimated most of our Elm trees.

It's the same situation in the UK. Most of our elms have gone though there are still a few places where they still grow. Sussex County Council had a policy of felling diseased elms as soon as they showed signs of dutch elm disease and burning all the debris, and it worked well in protecting the existing elms. I heard this back in the late 1970s - I don't know if this is still the case.
Cheers
Malcolm

I'm doing the current project in elm and have found that it needs quite careful treatment to bring it down to the required MC, but once it's dry enough to use it's fantastic stuff, easy to work with, terrific grain pattern and colouration (some I've used has green streaks running through it...wych elm?) and takes a good polish - Rob

malcolm,

your as geeky as me cat 5 and 5amp lighting circuits :shock: we should compare notes :D

oh and stunning table, really like that elm

Tom

Back