Elm Burr

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roggatismus

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a nice piece of seasoned elm burr.

What shall i do with it?

the side that i want to mount a faceplate to is te burr side, and thsi will make bowl making difficult

Any help please

Thanks

how big is it? any pictures?
if you mean its a carbuncle type burr- you can make a flat area with a chisel and get it betweeen centres then flaten of an area for a faceplate or chuck etc

Mount the Bowl face on a Faceplate, turn a small faceplate reference pad in the Burr Face, either mount a small faceplate on this or glue a suitably reduced scrap piece of wood to this and turn up spigot or face it off to take your bigger faceplate.
When finished hollowing Bowl face, reverse and turn off scrap and re-glue suitable wood for foot and finish off.

Even if the shape dictates more than one mounting foot point a small (75mm) face plate mounting will not look obtrusive underneath.

I will measure it up and post some pictures shortly.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Im really excited about this piece!

IMG_0857.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

The piece is 12" x 14", but when reduced to burr only, it will be about 12" x 12"

My lathe has a limit of 12"

My faceplate is 6"

well if it was me i would screw my faceplate onto the flat side and form the bottom of a bowl/hollow form with a chuck spigot then turn it around and finish the top, lastly jam chuck it to turn away the chuck spigot :D

I only have a faceplate and spindles in my woodturning arsenal.

What is a spigot?

and what is jam chucking?

Thanks

in that case then i would keep it until you have a chuck/ bit more experince to do it justice.

spigot/tenon is a lump of wood wich you make to size and the chuck grips onto it.
jam chuck is a waste block of wood which helps you reverse turn the piece and remove any chuck markings etc

That lump is no use to you.
I should sent it to me and i shall dispose of it for you.

;-)

Back