Elektra Beckum PK200 Table Saw Struggling With Thicker Wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SurreyHills

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a EB PK200 saw and latley the performance of cutting thicker wood >40mm causes the saw to struggle. The motor starts to slow down and in some cases stops. Starts up straight again but still struggles to cut. I have changed the blade for a new one and this hasn't made any difference. It seems to be getting worse so I am wondering whether there is anything I can do to improve the situation.

How many teeth does your blade have? Are you trying to cross cut or rip cut?

Simon.

Sounds like the wood is binding on the blade, causing the stall.

Have you still got the riving knife fitted? Is the rip fence parallel to the blade? Are you using a long or short rip fence?

Cheers

Karl

It doesn't seem to matter whether the blade I am using is the 24t original (re-sharpened) or a new Starrett 64 tooth blade, both seem to struggle with rip cutting. The fence is a short rip fence and is parallel to the blade.

Do you think I should try and fettle the alignment of the motor housing to the table, which is fiddly as there isn't any real adjustment possible, but I could loosen all the bolts and re-tighten them.

64 teeth is too many for rip cutting, even more so on a small diameter blade (8"). If the original blade is dull, that may well be the reason why it won't cut.

Also, you don't mention whether you have the riving knife fitted - if it isn't, the wood may be closing up as stress is released in the timber, causing it to catch on the back of the blade.

Cheers

Karl

Hi. I don't know the saw, but (assuming it's single phase) is it a brushed or an induction motor? I had almost identical problem on an old band saw with an induction motor when one of the caps decided to fail. Bob 9 fingers would be the man to ask if it's induction(EDIT... or brushed!).

One more (unlikely) possibility.... is it belt drive with a slipping belt?

HTH

Roy

I try and stay away from spawn of the devil - brush motors.

There have been a number of posts about similar problems with these machines, some of which suggest the soft start as the problem but so far none of the ones I have read come up with a solution.

Firstly make sure nothing is binding. Do a free cut with no fence involved and a correct thickness riving knife. If you still have problems, check to see if the wood is burning = blade problem.
No burning suggests a motor problem, could be poor brush contact or the soft start module playing up.
In essence you need to find out if the motor is producing the power but it is being absorbed in the cutting process for some reason OR if the motor is failing to produce the power in the first place.

Metabo are now the source of spares.

If it were mine I'd pass it on asap and get a real motor powered saw.

Bob

Hi... sorry to hijack but I need to ask Bob a quickie re soft starts...

My own saw is an extensively modified old Clark, now powered by a 2000W Bosch angle grinder! The grinder came my way because the soft start had become a soot sandwich. I'd like to re-introduce a soft start after the NVR as it starts with a real kick (although it's been like this for 3 years). Can you point me to a source for a suitable soft start? I've trawled the net and come up blank.

Cheers,

Roy

Hi Roy,

Soft starts are designed around the specific tool/motor so your best bet is to get the one designed for the angle grinder.
Obviously this will designed around the switch. I happen to have a 2000W blue Bosch 230mm angle grinder and have just tried out switching on from either the switch or the mains socket and can detect no difference in the speed of start up so hopefully your soft start will be similar and will suit your application.

HTH

Bob

Thanks for your assistance Bob. I wasn't sure if the original switch (if it had been working) could be held 'on' and the soft start still operated from the NVR, or if the soft start would not operate without the physical operation of the switch. Does that make sense?? I couldn't find out as the switch / soft start had previously melted!

It seems then all I have to do is find a Blue Bosch 2000W 230mm Angle Grinder :lol: and nick the switch. If it's held closed the soft start would still operate from the NVR. Excellent!!!

Cheers

Roy

Back