elecktra beckum hc260 starting issues

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madge

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, my planer thicknesser has seemingly died. One day it worked, the next it wouldn't switch on. I changed the fuse and nothing, and I checked for micro switches and couldn't see any. Could it be the capacitor? I'm at a loss, any advice would be much appreciated.

madge":31tu78ye said:
Hi all, my planer thicknesser has seemingly died. One day it worked, the next it wouldn't switch on. I changed the fuse and nothing, and I checked for micro switches and couldn't see any. Could it be the capacitor? I'm at a loss, any advice would be much appreciated.
If it was capacitor failure I would expect you to be able to hear the motor humming as supply to it's field coils would be energising the field stators.
And it would be getting warm and probably eventually blow the fuse due to continual high current.

Has the temperature dropped significantly and the machine chilled down? Thinking along the lines of metal having moved and safety switches no longer engaged.

Did you by any chance change configuration, planer/thicknesser ?

There is a slight hum but I think it might be coming from the NVR switch. I don't think there was much of a temperature change between when it worked and packed in and I hadn't even changed from thicknesser to planer mode. Anyway for the moment i'm cracking on with a hand plane, do you think it would be expensive to have a professional look at it?

I just bought a p/t that has the same issue. When you switch it on, there's just a buzzing noise from the switch. A friend of mine who's good at electrics had a look at it and tried bypassing the switch and it worked fine. You could try that to check. I don't know why it would happen suddenly though.

It's kind of dangerous though. He just removed the power leads from the switch and connected them to the motor cables with bare copper wire! :shock: Keep your hands away and have someone standing by on the wall switch.

Back