ECE plane for identification, and a giggle.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Cohen (Perth Oz)

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently won this ECE Moving Filletster on the 'bay. What is nice about it is that it has a skewed blade and should be a better user across the grain than my Record #778 (well, I'll find out when a certain something is sorted out, see below).

This is how the plane was advertised:

ECEMovingFilletster1.jpg

As can be seen, the brass work is rather tarnished (a couple of mm of corrotion). So I soaked the metal bits in citric acid, and scrubbed with 0000 steel wool, and wiped the wood down.

At this point I checked the blade and then honed it. However, when I went to reset the blade I discovered that the bevel was on the wrong side!

ECEMovingFilletstercleaned.jpg

At first I thought that I was being my usual dyslexic self, but I was sure that all I did was hone the established bevel. I checked the original picture and, lo-and-behold, the original blade was honed on the wrong side!

So it appears that either the original owner used this plane as a scraper, or (s)he got it wrong all those years ago, could not get it to work, and so the plane lay on a shelf all this time. What do you think?

Now I am also interested in dating this plane since it is not a current model. Any ideas?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Derek

The only clue I can give is that when I bought a couple of ECE planes in Germany in the late 1970s I took a long look at the range and compared them with the Ulmias as well. In both tanges the fences such as on yours were made from chromed, stamped steel by that time.

Scrit

Back