ebay - Don't you just love it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickCheese

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi

I was watching this

Ebay Tenon jig

It was a table saw tenoning jig. It got to £26 and £15 postage with a day to go and I started to lose interest as it was obviously going to go higher.

A very similar one is for sale at Rutlands for £59.

Well it eventually went for £67.00.

What a bargain!

Mick

I've often seen items on ebay go for way more than the new price offered from other places. Seems that there are plenty of buyers out there who just can't be bothered to do a little research before buying.

Having said that, there are also bargains to be had on ebay if you know what you are doing :)

tekno.mage

There's a guy on there selling a Jet Supersaw for £885. It must be 4 or 5yrs old and whilst in good condition it's been well used. I got £650 got my Supersaw that was still in warranty!! :shock:

So it swings both ways. The old addage of 'People will only pay what something is worth' rings true here. It goes well with 'Some people have more money than sense'

Mrs KUser buys and sells on fleebay.

I`m a bit of a skeptic :cry:

She has sold things of ours (espcially kiddy stuff) thats been snapped up (travel system which was going to the tip that raised £75!!!!!!)
Some of the stuff she has bought is PATENTLY nicked :roll:

one thing i would say for good `ol Mrs KU is that she ALWAYS researches purchases before bidding.......

star purchases include
jeans (brand new)- designer £5
curtains (blackout lined) - £10
Pc memory - £5
Photo scanner with autofeeder - £20
replacement wheel trim for avensis (4 trims, BRAND new toyota parts) - £20 (they are £27 EACH from a main dealer)

the list goes on....
Steve

Astonishing, in so many ways.
My experience has not been so happy. I sold a £200 microphone for £32 :( If I could have got out of it, I would.

Cheers
Steve

Steve Maskery":1c8y7csh said:
Astonishing, in so many ways.
My experience has not been so happy. I sold a £200 microphone for £32 :( If I could have got out of it, I would.

Isn't that what starting prices and reserves are for?

It's not just eBay auctions where people go a little crazy. I went to a live auction of household stuff a few years ago and watched as others bid on stuff I would have given away. Some guy bought about 10' of clothesline rope for $8. He could have bought 50' of it for less than $5 at the local hardware store. Someone else bought 3 or 4 half-full jugs of liquids that were supposed to be lawn chemicals for $27.

I wish I could hold an auction and have only those sorts of buyers come. :lol:

Some people get caught up in the excitement of any auction - online is no different.
I've sold some crazy stuff on Ebay over the years. My favourite was '10 defective PIII processors'. It was when PIII 1GHz was the bees knees. I blatantly said that the processors had come from failed machines and didn't work. They sold for nearly £250.
Buying on Ebay is no different to any other auction. Set yourself a max price and never go above it.

jlawrence":27oqngvx said:
Some people get caught up in the excitement of any auction - online is no different.
I've sold some crazy stuff on Ebay over the years. My favourite was '10 defective PIII processors'. It was when PIII 1GHz was the bees knees. I blatantly said that the processors had come from failed machines and didn't work. They sold for nearly £250.
Buying on Ebay is no different to any other auction. Set yourself a max price and never go above it.

You're lucky. I sold a high end graphics card and also stated that it might need some work to get it going properly as I wasn't able to...ergo the card might be faulty. The buyer promptly returned it, complained to PayPal to get a refund, the card came back even worse then it went and I had a real fight on my hand with payPal eventually persevering and succeeding to get my money back and the PayPal debt collectors off my back.

I learned that the front line PayPal customer reps (a) do nto bother to read what you write in emails (b) come out with boilerplate nonsense in return.

Hi,

I was watching some routers one went for £21 one went for £65 no difference between them both where compleat and in the same condition.

Pete

yo_chuci":2eu7ex4o said:
there is a real bargain on there tonight... ends in one hour

ebay
:lol: Very good.

In the past I have got some real bargains on ebay, then at other times I think there are some dodgy bids (bids by the sellers friend) You can normally tell by looking at the bidders history, e.g. the biddders history says that they always buy playstation games then all of a sudden they have won a table saw at a ridiculous price.

Recently I sold some old Northern Soul records, I didn't want them any more and didn't care if they sold for 99p each and most of them did but there was quite a few that sold for over £10 and one of them went for £21.70, I sold 28 in all and got a total of £120, I was more than happy.

motownmartin":18uplst9 said:
yo_chuci":18uplst9 said:
there is a real bargain on there tonight... ends in one hour

ebay
:lol: Very good.

In the past I have got some real bargains on ebay, then at other times I think there are some dodgy bids (bids by the sellers friend) You can normally tell by looking at the bidders history, e.g. the biddders history says that they always buy playstation games then all of a sudden they have won a table saw at a ridiculous price.

Recently I sold some old Northern Soul records, I didn't want them any more and didn't care if they sold for 99p each and most of them did but there was quite a few that sold for over £10 and one of them went for £21.70, I sold 28 in all and got a total of £120, I was more than happy.

careful, MrsKuser had a histroy completely of clothes and baby stuff before she got me some tools and computer bits, we weren't bidding on friends stuff.....

Steve

There is another category of "bidder" that for some reason gets forgotten - that of the numpty that has no intention of buying. They just bid the price up, win it, and then go silent.
It looks like an amazing bid/price has been reached.......
Yes I know Ebay is supposed to monitor/investigate/bar these specimens, but it happens with monotonous regularity.

Having said that i too was at a tool sale a few weeks back and watched several times in wonderment as obviously second-hand and in a couple of cases well used items went for way in excess of new price.......don't ever forget that there are some very strange people out there!

i got annoyed just the other day that a kitchen i had bid on was removed as it 'was no longer for sale'
that is happening more and more if stuff looks like its gonna sell cheap then it gets pulled. very annoying as the seller would kick up a stink if he sold something and then the buyer went quiet etc...

best thing i saw sold on ebay for stupid money was a PS3 Box in the height of excitment went it was released in the USA and you couldn't get hold of one.
brand new only opened to remove contents, mint condition. note this is for the box only no contents... had a pic of the box and everything...

went for 285$. i bet whoever that was got abit upset...

Back