eBay and blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whilst leafing through the new Axminster catalogue this evening, I came across the Japanese hand axe - not that I want one - and the description made me laugh. Ive just had a look on-line and the description is the same:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... e=1&jump=0

On the "Description" tab:

Japanese Hand Axe

The 115mm laminated steel blade is in the bearded shape, which makes for a very well balanced tool. A high carbon steel core is sandwiched between outer layers of softer steel to give the best possible combination of edge qualities and strength. Fitted with an oak handle 330mm long, securely pinned and wedged to the 700g head.
PLEASE NOTE - by purchasing any Axe, you are confirming that you are AGED 18 or over.

:D

There's a good deal of difference between unthinking application of corporate policy and compliance with the law. In principle the laws prohibiting the sale of knives alcohol etc to youngsters are sound, the fact that it has been left up to the retailers to determine how to enforce it is what has led to this situation.

I have no qualms about ID'ing someone buying a knife online. I cannot see them, and in many cases I don't know them from Adam, and it would be me, not them, who was breaking the law if they turned out to be a minor.

Having said that, I do believe that eBay have leapt far too high to the crack of watchdog's whip. They are deleting listings for all mannor of unrelated articles and punishing all of their customers, both buyers and sellers, for the indescretions of a few pillocks.

Perhaps the new government ID cards can help bring some sense to the situation?

Perhaps the new government ID cards can help bring some sense to the situation?

I doubt it. The card are standard chip and can be altered by the simplest
programmer...I use to use one called Elvis programmer for fun cards.
It is going to be a criminal free for all and you have to buy one. :shock:
I will have mine re-programmed to say I am Gorden Brown...lol
You can buy all the ingredients for rocket fuel on ebay, I know this
as I make formers for a friend who likes to build small rockets :lol:

Back