Earlex

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dovetail2007

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys.

I need a small extractor for my "shop"
Primarily being used with the router table, but also as a hoover to clean up handplane shavings and sanding dust etc.
Not looking to spend a huge amount.
I found this Earlex one - many users seem to have mentioned them previously but no mention of model names/numbers, so does this one look decent:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 111349.htm
There is a cheaper lower powered one (1000w/£40) but it doesn't come with the powertool attachments so I'm happy to pay the extra.

Replies ASAP please :)

Cheers guys,

Sam

I've got one,got mine from Machine Mart - only have a smallish workshop,and find it very well suited for it.
Only thing I would say about it is that it loses suction as it fills up and covers the filter,so is better emptied more often; when emptied,and filter cleaned,it has very impressive suction (lifts the anti-fatigue matting off the floor :shock: )
Think it's a good value machine.

Andrew

I got mine from Screwfix and I've been very pleased with it. Although I have no experience of other shop vacs with which to compare it, I think for the money it's brilliant.

Mine has the paper bag over a foam filter rather than the pleated filter. Like Andrew I find the suction reduces as the bin fills, but emptying the bin and brushing off the filter restores the performance. Had mine for 2 years and used 2 bags - just bought some new bags on ebay.

I use mine for power tools and the router table. I also use it for general cleaning up. I should point out, that the tube can easily get blocked cleaning up hand plane shavings - I tend to sweep up the bulk with dustpan and brush then finish off with the vac. However, I would imagine that to be an issue with any shop vac of similar type.

HTH
Dave

I have one and am very pleased with it
The long hose is handy and yes, it does need emptying regularly.
Mine does not have a power take off. I cant see where the argos one mentions that :?

John

Shultzy":2bwom1lf said:
the Argos vacuum specifically mentions a power take-off socket,
Argos":2bwom1lf said:
Dust extractor and blower incorporates a power tool adaptor for connecting to power jigsaws, sanders and circular saws to dramatically reduce excess sawdust and eliminate the need for collection bags.

Sorry but I think you have read too much into what Argos say, I think its an adaptor that connects the hose to the tool to collect the dust not supply electricity. Check out the Earlex site here.

I have a unit form B&Q that does have a power takeoff and comes with power tool adaptors. here is Phillys review of his one.

Shultzy":3300ou89 said:
Dave S and PowerTool. the Argos vacuum specifically mentions a power take-off socket, does the Machine Mart or Screwfix have one as well?

The £40 model (that I have) doesn't - there is an £80 ish model that does.

Andrew

I've got an earlex in the garage & it works fine, if a little noisy. Wish I'd bought one with a pto though.

:Edit: One thing I particularly like is the large(r) bore pipe (58mm?) which will plug straight into the dust port of my Trend router table. iirc that was an extra

I got mine from B&Q - its a bit different to Phillys
Is it called Macallister or summat?

However it was on offer in Jan and cost me £30 - wish I'd bought two!!
Great machine and power take off is very handy.

I had a look at the more expensive of the Earlexs in Machine Mart - my B&Q one is definitely superior.

I have one that I bought from Wickes for £30 (looks identical to the Earlex) which I use with a Triton dust bucket. You do need the washable filter though, which it looks like you get as standard with the Earlex from Argos. Otherwise these are about £10 but are far superior to the paper bag and rubber band "filters" that you usually get as standard. My first one lasted a couple of years and when it gave out I immediately got another. One day I might build a proper dust collection system but for now the Earlex clone and the Triton dust bucket work just fine for me.

Shultzy":t8mrycuf said:
Dave S and PowerTool. the Argos vacuum specifically mentions a power take-off socket, does the Machine Mart or Screwfix have one as well?

No, mine doesn't have a power take off, either. It doesn't bother me, to be honest.

Dave

Hi Guys,

My Mum picked one up from Argos today - I find it very useful for my 'shop. It made short work of hoovering up the last weeks' worth of planings and also gave the router table a nice clean :)
At the moment it's sitting in the middle of my floorspace, but I have a good storage solution coming up - it's being produced this weekend, so keep your eyes peeled in the projects/workshops forum.

Cheers for the advice,

Sam

Latest posts

Back