Dust Filter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tusses

Established Member
Reaction score
spent a couple of hours today making an air filteration box.

Built round Axminsters replacement air filter and pre filter and a radiator fan from an old polo.

All done, and runs off a battery charger at the moment. Need to put a spped switch in to slow it down as it's a bit windy behind it !

Pics should speak for them selves.

DSC01967.jpg

DSC01968.jpg

DSC01969.jpg

DSC01973.jpg

DSC01974.jpg

DSC01975.jpg

now c'mon guys ... dont all reply at once ! :p

I have it 'hung' today, and after blowing up a dust storm with the air line, it takes about 3 minute to clear to no visible dust in the sunlight.

So, I am happy, and will breath more easily !

I have temporarily rigged a car headlight bulb in series to slow down the flow. I can switch between full and slow easily.

My workshop is 5m x 6m x 2.7m

Rich

Looks the job to me. :)
I made similar, used the same filters as you too, but used a fan out of a kitchen extractor, fairly powerful and clears the air very quickly.

Thanks Studders

a pic of it in place ...

I was going to paint it, but I thought not, as I had work to do, and nothing else is painted anyway!

DSC01977.jpg

easy couple of hours work, using scraps of hard board etc. I was watching around the world in 80 days, as I made it, so I know it didn't take too long !! LOL.

£30 all in :mrgreen:

Hi Tusses,

Can I just check the thinking behind this. The fan simply sucks air through the filter, scrubbing the air clean and leaving the dust in the filter? You don't have any kind of tubing to take the extracted air outside of your shop?

Looks like exactly what I need as a first pass at dust extraction for my new workshop.

Cheers,

Ade.

"Sheer firkin' poetry!" - the ultimate East Belfast compliment.....I just think the polo fan is SUCH an alternative/good idea!

Sam

bexupnorth":p29wy7j0 said:
Hi Tusses,

Can I just check the thinking behind this. The fan simply sucks air through the filter, scrubbing the air clean and leaving the dust in the filter? You don't have any kind of tubing to take the extracted air outside of your shop?

Cheers,

Ade.

That's all it is :D

the pre filter catches most of it, so you can just reach up with the shop vac to clean that every day.

SammyQ":ig2va9h2 said:
"Sheer firkin' poetry!" - the ultimate East Belfast compliment.....I just think the polo fan is SUCH an alternative/good idea!

Sam

why, thank you Sam :D

Tusses":2mg37q5c said:
bexupnorth":2mg37q5c said:
Hi Tusses,

Cheers,

Ade.

That's all it is :D

the pre filter catches most of it, so you can just reach up with the shop vac to clean that every day.

Thanks Fella,

Another project to add to the list. :D I've got a Capri and a Micra fan kicking about that should fit the bill nicely

Tusses":11g4sdol said:
Needs to be an electric fan !

Correct! and it is electric. Apologies, I forgot that it's not a "proper" Capri anymore, the previous owner had slotted in a Vauxhall Astra engine and to be honest, the whole cooling system probaby isn't blue oval. Mind you, a viscous fan attached to a Pinto could probably shift some dust! #-o

Back