Dust Extractor dilema

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluekingfisher

Established Member
Reaction score
Gents, all,

I am about to take on the challenge of installing my dust collection system at long last.

I have bought a new Axminster 2hp single stage extractor for the purpose of servicing my machines.

I was intending to have the extractor on "standby" while I am in the WS and rather than having to walk over to it each time to turn it on, I was planning on having it on a remote control switch that I can carry about with me to turn it on as I work at a particular machine.

The problem I have is the extractor has magnetic NVR switch which will of course require me to walk over to it each time to turn it on manually.

Is there a way I can operate the extractor remotely? or would I need to change/remove the NVR switch??

Thanks in advance.

David

What I've done in my workshop is install remote switches all round near the main machines, these i wired in to the main NVR switch on the extractor. you do need to use the right start/stop push button switches and three core wiring. if you take the cover off the NVR you may find the wiring diagram printed in side the housing for doing this.
It goes without saying that you should only do this if you are confident that you know what you are doing!

Sadly despite their expense, these devices will not work with any DC that has a NVR switch - like most that AXI sell.

They say that you have to bypass the switch which I guess could well invalidate the warranty and any CE certification the machine has**.

DOH!

Bob

** My modification will have the same effect - something to bear in mind if CE marking is important to you

Well if you were to bother Pete, you would likely find that the remote switch relay would not last very long. The inrush current when starting a multi horsepower motor will far exceed the rating of the relay contacts.
In fact many of the remote switches are only rated at 2000W resistive load not even the full 13 amp that is implied by the pins.

Bob

Back