Drying Timber help needed!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liam60

Reaction score
Has anyone every used a Sauno Wood Kiln before? Im in college and i have to do a large report on that type of kiln one and have to come up with a drying schedules etc... anyone have a clue about that type of kiln?? any help appreciated. Thanks :D

ya have google-d it a fair bit but dont get any information on drying schedules. The drying schedules is pretty much the main thing that i want to get info on.

I don't think you will find a list of drying times as it varies so much

How long has the tree been felled
Is it in log form
what size are the logs
is it planked
what thickness are the planks
are you drying pre turned bowls ready to finish after drying
what wood is it as denser timbers take longer to dry

All you can do is weigh and date the timber in the kiln , the every couple of days re weigh and see what the weight loss is , when the weight stabilises check it wit a moisture meter

When all is good remove from the kiln

BUT

depending on when and where you use it and or store it you may see and increase in moisture levels so you must let the timber stabilize

Hope this helps :wink:

I plan to use 25mm boards that are 300mm wide and 7ft long and there moisture content would be around 30%.

Oak, Beech, Ash , Elm and maybe sycamore.
the dryied boards would be used for cabinet making.

how do you know what tempature to start the kiln at and can you have few different species in the kiln at the same time?

Liam60":9ndsw3wn said:
Has anyone every used a Sauno Wood Kiln before? Im in college and i have to do a large report on that type of kiln one and have to come up with a drying schedules etc... anyone have a clue about that type of kiln?? any help appreciated. Thanks :D
I'm not familiar with the kiln type and how it operates. I've only briefly read the description available at the Classic Hand Tools website, http://www.classichandtools.com/acatalo ... -Kiln.html There is mention there of the inventor Leif Mattsson. Perhaps you could contact Classic Hand Tools and ask if they could put you in touch with the inventor-- he surely knows how it operates and will have recommended drying schedules for different timbers and thicknesses, etc.

If all you are looking for are kiln schedules for conventional medium temperature wood drying kilns (which may operate very differently to the Sauno brand) you should seek out GH Pratt's 1997 Timber Drying Manual (third edition) published by the Building Research Establishment-- it may be in your college library. You will find there are twelve basic wood drying schedules used in the UK outlined in the book, and a selection of American schedules which are designed for different standards.

You are a student, so you'll perhaps understand if I don't tell you any more than this. I'm deliberately leaving gaps meaning you'll have to do more digging around so that your own research, analysis, arguments, etc, and the presentation of your learning and conclusions for assessment is meaningful. Slainte.

andersonec":2mc2jjj6 said:
Find a manufacturer(or two) and write to them, UK or USA.

Thanks for the advice, I have emailed the company that make it and they surprisingly have emailed back the same day, just waiting to get more info on it from them.

I have emailed the company and i will ask them if i can get a contact for the inventor. I had a look for the GH Pratt and its in the college libary going to head off now and have a look at it. thanks for the help greatly appreciated!!! thats also to all that have replied!!

Back