Drying partaily sawn wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mind_the_goat

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just seen this pic on facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...4965690.105460.308733872520802&type=1&theater

(might need to login oh FB)

My question is how would you go about using a piece of tree that big? Would you have to leave it drying for few years, How to minimise cracking as I can imagine all sort of stresses building up. What sort of woods would it not be worth trying this with (or which would work if that list is smaller)
Anyone suggest where I could a find wood like that ready to use ?

Thanks

have a word with your local sawmill. I would probably suggest painting the ends and letting it do what it wants. Then plane the top flat- and cracks etc just add to that character. You have the option then of filling them, putting in a dutchman (think that is the term for the dovetail shaped joint to hold the crack together) or leaving them.

..looks good but it's not at all hygenic for a toilet/washroom even if it was oiled/varnished...(there's always 1 spolier..).

..but I'm sure your local tree surgeon might be able to help if you don't have a local saw mill. Oak would be good looking but easily goes black when in contact with wet iron or steel...it's also heavy ..or my 2nd favourite Larch - good figure & much lighter & cheaper.

Cracks can be filled with 'lay up' resin which is time consuming but much better looking than filler imho.

That piece looks to me like it had been dead for a long time before it was cut into that slab. Though the photo isn't very sharp there are signs of rot - poss. Honey fungus - (spalted is a kind word) so it wasn't green when it was cut to shape.

It's green timber that will move and crack the most and has to be cut, stored, dried with care, tricks and know-how.

If you were to find a piece like the one pictured it would probably be on a woodland floor having been there for several years. Lots of it's moving would have been done already.

It would need time to dry but there is a difference between previously seasoned wood that's damp and wood that's green.

Back