Dropping a length of lighting cable into a circuit.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The change to brown/blue cable came in 2006, perhaps not coincidentally close to the introduction of part P. So there is a fair chance that any existing wiring will be the old colours - before that, it was red/black and green and yellow for earth - earth sleeves have not been solid green since 1977 !

You may of course be able to use the old cable to pull through a new one, if you twist/tape them together firmly first (ONLY for pulling of course, not electrical connection !)

earth sleeves have not been solid green since 1977 !

:oops: I was about to query that Tony as I bought the reel less than 3 years ago, then something told me to check it. It does indeed have a couple of yellow stripes albeit very faint. #-o

Either I'm going blind or senile I think. Strange how you don't notice everyday things, not that it makes much difference - can't confuse it with red or black.

Dozy git comes to mind!

Bob

Sheffield Tony":2niq03z9 said:
The change to brown/blue cable came in 2006, perhaps not coincidentally close to the introduction of part P. So there is a fair chance that any existing wiring will be the old colours - before that, it was red/black and green and yellow for earth - earth sleeves have not been solid green since 1977 !

You may of course be able to use the old cable to pull through a new one, if you twist/tape them together firmly first (ONLY for pulling of course, not electrical connection !)

Tony,

It seems like much. much longer ago than 2006. I have appliances much older than that with brown and blue cables.

The wiring in my house is twin & earth. Red, black and plain copper earth. But as I took a course in newfangled-ese, I am able to translate the colours to blue for Neg, Brown for Pos, and yellow and green for Earth. Nothing has gone bang anyway, so I s'pose I got it right! :D

Let's put it this way, until someone with the authority tells me that my house 'MUST' be rewired, (Or things start going wrong) the red and black covered cable will carry on conducting electricity. Building Regs can go and conduct a brass band! :D

I just checked in my shop. My Bench Morticer, which I bought in the early 1990s, has blue, brown and g/y cables. It's the original cable, so either the change came way back, or it was 'optional' until 2006.

Or it could be as phil says below! :lol:

:?

Back