Drilling Jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawdust maker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am after some help. I have made a jig to lock my lathe and rotate it in steps. I now want to make a jig to drill horizontal holes into the side of something I have turned on the lathe. The hole will be drilled with an electric drill and of varying sizes, for different jobs. Anyone got some ideas or better still made one and got photos.
Thanks
Paul

Have you thought about taking the base off a portable drilling stand, clamping it to a block of wood which has had a V-groove machined/sawn out of the top surface and then clamping that lot to the bed of the lathe? Martennson illustrates something similar for plain horizontal boring in his book "The Woodworkers' Bible"

Scrit

Thanks Scrit
You've given me an idea. Rather than use a drill stand, because I've not got one! But I have got KLM drill plunger. That I can adapt to do much the same thing.
Thanks
Paul

Thanks to Scrit's info I have produced this.
I think I should have put this in the turning section, but as I started here I might as well continue.
drill1.jpg

drill4.jpg

I did encounter one problem. The drill had some lateral movement. I corrected this by adding two more thumb screws, the yellow ones. I scavenged them the router I have fixed in my router table.
This ia a photo of the stepped stop I made for the lathe.
drill2.jpg

Back