drilling a deep hole

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caretaker

Established Member
Reaction score
I have made a light house well copied it from a mag, I did drill a small hole through the middle but I was going to try to put a small light (LED) in it but would need a bigger hole for the wire.
Here comes the tricky bit.
I have not got a chuck. (cannot afford one yet)
I have not got a long drill bit. (next trip to Yandles)
I have got a pillar drill.
I have got a pen mandrill.
I have got a glue gun.
Any idea's, I could un-glue the pieces but I used Araldite, or start again.
That's my trouble, I never plan.

Drill chuck and arbor for you lathe approx £20.00 for find an old engineers shop and pick up some long morse taper drill for a couple of quid. If you look round in the second hand tool stores you will find something

can you still turn the piece on the lathe ?

1. if you can - try and attach your drill bit to a piece of hollow tube - ie. an extension bar -you may need to file a flat and have a self tapper hold it in place - you can then either push the drill bit through the lighthouse by hand or using your tailstock - it will try and spin with the lathe but a firm grip or vice grips will help - i use this method regularly for hollowing out piece using up to 2-3" forstner bit. - the drill bit will need to be bigger than the tube + a bit extra..

2. using your vertical - select a drill bit larger than the diameter of the jacobs chuck in the vertical - you will be able to drill an extra 5 inch or so into your lighthouse

worth a go .....

Back