Drill press table for Byron

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Nibbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Some time back I pointed Byron to a thread on Woodnet about a drill press table but the pics disappeared. Some kind person has redone the pics :D

It is a real cracker and can be seen HERE

The aluminimum fence and locking stop block are excellent ideas - I've got aly like that in the garage and never once thought of using it for a fence.

The nice thing about using Ali is that is is usually good on square. The downside is that it is quite easy to flex if you are applying pressure and it is unlikely to be big enough in section to take decent-sized knobs. My own preference is for Bristol levers. But for them you need at least 60mm clearance to from hole to fence, which is not easily available. Making a plywood fence gives you this flexibilty but with greater stabilty, I think.

I really do like like the drawer underneath though, I shall steal that!

Cheers
Steve

Am I silly? What's the point in the circle thingy? And um, is that one of Fecn's helpers in the background of the final photo?

Cheers Chris, and thanks for skating around the fact that: Yes, I am silly ;)

WiZeR":3u1cnpr4 said:
Am I silly? What's the point in the circle thingy?
Its a sacrificial disc, that bit will get lots of centre marks and holes drilled in it, by making it round it can just be moved a few degrees and the support for the drill breaking thought id restored, helping to stop break out on the bottom of the work piece.
doh beaten by Chris, must type quicker :roll:

Cheers Dave

Something similar can be found in shopnotes 57

waterhead37":3irkhb39 said:
Tom,
The circle is really smart - you get a new unspoilt surface to ensure a clean exit hole, just by rotating it a bit.

Yes it really is a smart, that one idea is what first drew my attention.

Actually, whilst I think that the idea of a sacrificial insert is essential, a disk seems to me to be too complex. You have to make a disk every time you need to change it. Surely much easier to have a sacrificial strip which is just ripped off the saw and slid up a bit each time. It's what I do, I'll try to remember to take a pic.

Cheers
Steve

Topical post this one, as I'm in the process of completing work on my own drill press table.

Hope to finish work next weekend so will post some pictures. I have made it from an old kitchen door with some incra T track and fittings.

I have a square sacrificial insert, never thought of round :oops: - but can see the advantage.

Still I have not graduated to anything with a curve yet, let a lone a circle.

Esc.

Steve Maskery":3bep9gy5 said:
..... Surely much easier to have a sacrificial strip whick is just ripped off the saw and slid up a bit each time. It's what I do, I try to remember to take a pic.
Cheers
Steve

It's the method I chose on mine, and is certainly easier to replace.

DSC02315.JPG

DSC02319.JPG

Steve Maskery":35wsf3p3 said:
Actually, whilst I think that the idea of a sacrificial insert is essential, a disk seems to me to be too complex. You have to make a disk every time you need to change it. Surely much easier to have a sacrificial strip whick is just ripped off the saw and slid up a bit each time. It's what I do, I try to remember to take a pic.

Cheers
Steve

I do something similar to Steve. The pillar drill table has three parallel bits of 15mm mdf on it, the two outer ones are bolted down and the middle on is a tight sliding fit...this is the sacrificial one and once it gets too mangled it's easy to replace with another bit, in fact I keep a few in a drawer close by...works for me

Edit - and Chas :lol: - Rob

Back