drill bit sets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainpk

Established Member
Reaction score
When doing DIY, I spend half the time looking for the correct drill bit for the job!

Does any one, have any advise on a resonably good price drill bit set? I have had ones in the past, from wickes and bosch. Both were alright! But come with a lot of stuff, that I do not need!

Ideally, it would contain a full range of bits, starting at about 2mm and then going up in 0.5 mm increments.

I bought a set of these - they seem okay - time will tell.

Axminster on Ebay £9.99 inc delivery

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231096198483

TiN Coated Lip & Spur Bits
Part number: 110351
A 21 piece set of titanium nitride coated lip and spur drill bits in sizes from 3mm to 13mm in 0.5mm steps. Super sharp and wear resistant, these drills will cut clean and accurate holes in all types of timber. Housed in a strong steel box with individually labelled sockets for each drill.

I bought these to replace a set of 7 Bosch bits form Amazon which I'm about to return - the 3mm bit is like a banana!

Hi

I'd buy a relatively cheap set in a box / stand you like the look of, then replace them as they wear out with higher quality items - this means that the drills you use the most will be of good quality and you won't waste money buying quality bits that you will rarely / never use.

If you are using them purely for woodwork I'd go for lip and spur bits.

Regards Mick

I agree with Mick, hence the cheap set from Ebay/Axminster. I can't justify a set of expensive bits, through use I'll doubtless break/wear out the most popular sizes and I'll replace these with better quality singles, meanwhile I'll have all the range of sizes for those once in a blue moon jobs.
If I relied on them to make my living I might think differently - or I might just treat them as a workshop consumable.

Will try the lip and spur bits - good find.

I had trouble finding anything suitable on their website, and free postage is always helpful.

Right now, mostly using for wood - I am fitting my kitchen.

Masonary is covered by my SDS bosch bits, which have worked well so far.

wizard":u2fhqbo4 said:
+1 here.

I used only Dormer/SKF for years regret ever moving away from them for cheaper ones. The few I've left still beat _everyone_ else's hands down.

I have a few Bosch ones (8mm long series, for example) and they aren't bad, but they're not Dormer!

Going to treat myself for Christmas. I think the No. 413 is a good starter kit. It used to be in imperial or metric, but I think it's metric-only now.

E.

I bought one of the 180piece (or something) sets about 12 yrs ago - mine was German, best thing I ever bought. There are several different makes, they go from 1mm to 10mm in 1/2mm's. You'll eventually go through some of them (3mm and 6mm, I found) but it's handy to have the half sizes for repairs. I've seen them for under forty quid. Even if you're into serious metalwork, you can replace the ones you use most with Presto or Dormer.

I've been using Wurth hss bits for several years now. Some I've re-sharpened many times. I've also got Bosch sds masonry and auger bits, Makita spade bits and Presto wood bits.

phil.p":2v9pbz3t said:
I bought one of the 180piece (or something) sets about 12 yrs ago - mine was German, best thing I ever bought. There are several different makes, they go from 1mm to 10mm in 1/2mm's. You'll eventually go through some of them (3mm and 6mm, I found) but it's handy to have the half sizes for repairs. I've seen them for under forty quid. Even if you're into serious metalwork, you can replace the ones you use most with Presto or Dormer.

I bought something similar, but probably cheaper from B&Q years ago. One thing I never found out though, was half the drills are black and half brass colour - anyone know why? I'm assuming one set for wood and one for metal but which is which?

Hi

The yellow coated bits will probably be TiN, (titanium nitride), coated bits - it's supposed to increase the life of the cutting edge, (but my jury's out on that one).

Bit design will be more likely to indicate its purpose - lip and spur for wood - 'standard grind' for metal - carbide insert for masonry.

Regards Mick

Have you considered "multi construction" drill bits. I use the Bosch ones quite a lot its handy not having to change from a wood drill to masonry drill all the time. The few times ive used them on metal they've been decent too.

Spindle":203v8nr0 said:
Hi

The yellow coated bits will probably be TiN, (titanium nitride), coated bits - it's supposed to increase the life of the cutting edge, (but my jury's out on that one).

Bit design will be more likely to indicate its purpose - lip and spur for wood - 'standard grind' for metal - carbide insert for masonry.

Regards Mick

the 'wood' (lip & spur) ones are in a separate part of the case, the yellow / black in one tray and all are normal 'pointy' drills - maybe it's to get you to think you've bought something special :D

Back