• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Found Drill Bit Sets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garno

Grumpy Old Git
Reaction score
Looking for drill bits from 6mm to 15mm going up in 0.1mm increments.
I don't mind if they are blunt.

Any reason you need so many sizes?

I have your bog standard 1-10 by 0.5mm sets and then when I need something special I buy individual bits. Partly it's a cost thing but it's also allows me to buy the type of bit I need for each job. As an example I might want a 7.2mm drill bit, it's nice to have one in a set, but what if need it long series, or machine/stub length? What if I need it made of carbide?
I have a very large selection of drill bits, plenty of jobber length HSS of course but you would be surprised how many carbide, stub, long series drills I own because they were better suited to the task. If I had bought a big expensive set, I still might not have the drill I really need.

Oh and if you are you buying a drill for a job that you expect to do a lot, consider buying carbide or carbide tipped (cheaper), they last a LOT longer than HSS. I have a drill size I use a lot, as in tens of times a week, so thousands of holes per year (in wood). I invested in a carbide bit, it was about 5x times more expensive than the equivalent HSS bit. I have been using that same drill bit for almost 10 years, never sharpened, still razor sharp. No HSS bit would last that long and produce such beautiful holes still. Money well spent in that case.

Last edited:
I have a stack of HSS bits in a plastic case my Mum bought for my birthday once but they are cheap and not size marked. You are welcome to them for P&P if they will help?

Any reason you need so many sizes?

I am on my pen turning journey and have found that the blanks need so many different sized holes drilled into them.

I purchased some kits from someone on a different forum and was amazed that most of them needed different sizes and others different sizes but in imperial, I have all the imperial sizes up to 1/2" but have very few metric.
I have tried to make the holes with .5 increment say a 9.1 to a 9.5 and it was not a good ending. I managed to get the imperials for £23 and was hoping a metric set would be available for maybe a little more, a big wake up call.

I think I may have it sorted now, I think I will upgrade them individually over time on a need basis. Thank you for your post I got some good information from it.

If you've gone a little over size with the hole I found the best thing to do is to use PU adhesive and leave the blank standing on end while it sets - it expands and pushes the tube to the centre. You need to ensure the (bottom) end of the blank is square first, and I coat the inside of the tubes with m/c wax so excess glue peels out easily.

Last edited:
I am on my pen turning journey and have found that the blanks need so many different sized holes drilled into them.

I purchased some kits from someone on a different forum and was amazed that most of them needed different sizes and others different sizes but in imperial, I have all the imperial sizes up to 1/2" but have very few metric.
I have tried to make the holes with .5 increment say a 9.1 to a 9.5 and it was not a good ending. I managed to get the imperials for £23 and was hoping a metric set would be available for maybe a little more, a big wake up call.

I think I may have it sorted now, I think I will upgrade them individually over time on a need basis. Thank you for your post I got some good information from it.

Ahh pen turning, definitely buy your drill bits for each kit, quite often you need a longer drills or maybe a brad point bit depending on the material you are using. Once you have found the perfect drill bit, store it with the appropriate size tube or at least make very good notes.

Latest posts

Back