Drill bit for a hinge drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowfax

Established Member
Reaction score
Last night a managed to snap the end of my smallest hinge centring drill, so I need a new bit for it. Trouble is the bit is (or at least it was) 65mm long.
This is an odd length and I am wondering if anyone knows of a supplier for such a thing.
The alternative seems to be to buy another set of hinge centring drills for about a tennner. Silly really for a drill bit that might cost about 50p.
Axminster do replacement bits for their offering but mine came from Screwfix and I'm not sure if the bits are similar lengths.
Stupid kind of puzzle really!
Cheers.

SF

Do you mean the drill bit used in a Vix bit? If so try an engineer's merchants - they are 64ths Imperial sizes slow spiral bits and are not all that special (or that expensive)

Scrit

Scrit
Sounds good to me. It's only a spiral bit, 5/64ths, or 2mm, by 65mm.
I will have a look around for an engineers merchant locally.
Such a minor thing but small bits are always getting busted and I would like to have some spares around. This just seemed an odd length.
Cheers.

SF

You may find what they offer you is a tad too long, but that doesn't matter as it will work. I tried the standard spirals and they clog too easily which the slow spirals don't

Scrit

Hi SF

I have had the same problem and I will be looking to get ones that take the smaller bits, They are much smaller than you ones you have.

For now I will try Tilgear for bits :)

Thanks for the replies. I've been Googling for information since I posted. What a minefield! If you find some shorter types of hinge centring bits let us all know where they are 'cos these longer ones are a pain.
Making a tool of this sort that won't take a standard length bit seems like a design flaw to me.
It's only cheap stuff but still a PITA.
At least Axminster do stock the things with spare bits as well but I don't know how long they are.
Oh well.

SF

Are they shorter, Colin? I can't really tell from the picture.
It doesn't say what you would have to use for a "replaceable bit".
Looks like a good deal , though.
If they take standard length bits they would be great.
Cheers.

SF

Hi Sf,
I have the same set from Screwfix and also broke the smallest bit, twice, recently while hanging ten doors in the house.
I found replacements easily at my local diy yard but they were too long for the barrel so I cut them to length with the angle grinder. Each bit cost approx £2.
beejay

Has anyone found a make of hinge bit that actually clears its swarf, and hence doesn't you to continually pick the flutes clean so that the collar can slip back to its starting position?

How about 2mm x 85mm ones from Wealden. £1.50 each but only £1.50 postage.
I think I will order a few and cut them down.
Anybody else want some while I am at it?
Cheers.

SF

Nick W":2do79hks said:
Has anyone found a make of hinge bit that actually clears its swarf, and hence doesn't you to continually pick the flutes clean so that the collar can slip back to its starting position?
No. Let us all know when you do..... :wink:

Scrit

Trend do the long 5/64th replacement bits, the axminster ones are shorter and don't fit as I found out.

Both types have a long shank and short flutes which makes them stronger than long series drills that you will get from an engineering supplier.

Jason

Latest posts

Back