Dressing your Grinder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

When i bought my grinder i got a star dresser with it. It cost a few euro. Whenever i see anyone dressing wheels though they all seem to be using diamond dressers, or devil stones.

Am i missing out on something using my star dresser ?

What do you guys use ??

Loz

A dresser is just that, it dresses the wheel, more specifically it breaks off a layer of grit to expose new and sharp grits to keep the wheel cutting well and cooly. A diamond (always use in a guide) is used to true or shape a wheel. It will cut through the grit and expose new sharp edges but also.
In my experience the devil stones are only useful if you want to polish the stone.

All this is based on engineering experience using stones designed for surface grinding. With modern stones aimed at the woodworker you milage may vary.

James

HI

The star dresser is a very coarse way of cleaning the wheel and will remove a lot of stone in a very short time, it should only be used on gray stones.

For other stones such as the white ones a devil stone or diamond dresser like THIS ONE should be used.

john

The best tool for dressing a wheel is a single point diamond dresser in an appropriate jig, failing that the Tee Bar diamond coated units should be effective.

If your wheels are cutting freely, I.E. grit bond materal matched to the type and hardness of the steel you are sharpening the dressing should only be needed a couple of times a year for turning tools.

DSC02787.JPG

Back