Dreaming of a new lathe......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vulthoom

Established Member
Reaction score
If I had a couple of grand to spare (!) and wanted a heavier duty lathe for bowl turning I would be probably dithering between the Hegner HDB200XL
with the bowl turning attachment and the Nova NDVR3000 DVR XP with outrigger.

Assuming I suddenly won the lottery on Wednesday, which would you suggest I go for....? :)

Currently just a dream but, eventually I hope, a reality......

Neither

I would get a Union Graduate short bed converted to variable speed

super solid lathe and for around the £1000 mark , and a grand left over :p

for other essential toyools :p :wink:

Vulthoom":1qn63mzr said:
If I had a couple of grand to spare (!) and wanted a heavier duty lathe for bowl turning I would be probably dithering between the Hegner HDB200XL with the bowl turning attachment and the Nova NDVR3000 DVR XP with outrigger.

Assuming I suddenly won the lottery on Wednesday, which would you suggest I go for....?
I had the same shortlist a while back and chose the 1HP Hegner HDB200XL. My choice may not have been completely scientific, but it was based on the following:

The Hegner uses a three-pulley belt drive system. Changing the belt to another range takes less than 10 seconds. I figured that with three ranges and variable speed, I'd get the best torque at all settings, as opposed to using a motor which had to provide torque throughout its range.

The Hegner has adjustable annular ring bearings on the main shaft which should be an insurance for any wear in the future. It also has a hollow main shaft, meaning that - if I'm foolish or stupid enough to get something jammed on the mainshaft - I can remove it, using the tool provided, through the hollow shaft.

Getting something jammed on the Nova might mean a less "kinder," Stilson-based approach! Also, it just doesn't seem right to me to hang large lumps of wood off the end of what is, in effect, the armature of an electric motor. You may not have such a concern.

As I said, perhaps more of a "gut feeling" approach to my choice, but I've never regretted it for one second. :)

Ray

When upgrading from an Arundel JuniorI also initially looked at the Nova as its spec seemed good, but was disappointed when I looked at them for real, the finish on the models I looked at in 4 seperate places was a bit rough and suggested that the build quality might be the same (may not be true I add before happy Nova owners chip in), and I was anxious about the electronic box of tricks perhaps not being rugged, repairable or replaceable without going back to NZ ... I ended up looking at VicMarc's and WivaMacs, and bought the latter which seems a great bit of kit.

Cheers

Toby

I was in the same boat this time last year, I had owned a 1hp fox lathe, and been a beginner found it good, although on anything out of balance, my whole shed would vibrate, due to the not been able to slow the lathe down to 100-200rpms. Anyway, burnt the motor out by the gouge digging into the wood and stopping the motor. Was going to go for the Fox Supalathe, but ended up spending that bit extra and got the DVR, 2hp motor is great, Sturdy setup, safty cutoff if the tool digs into the wood, any RPM you want from 100 to 3000.
The only down side is after spending all that money, you have to spend a few hundred more to get a bed extension.. but beside that, would really recomend this as a great lathe.

I had silmlar budget and went for the Nova XP very pleased very very smooth and almost silent. main reason i wanted to get away from belts and was able to get good deal at yandles show with some extras thrown in
Gary.

Also have a look at a Vicmarc 175SH (search on phil irons woodturning).

A lot of cast iron for the money - a lifelong purchase.

Just my opinion - no affiliation.

Check out the Wivamac range, very solid and well made, good specs and great performance imho.

I looked at Oneway, Vicmarc etc a few years back but seemed to me a lot of the extra cost for them was down to them having to ship heavy lumps of metal from Australia or Canada, rather than for better specs or performance.

Down to personal opinion and preference as always though I guess.......

Cheers, Paul :D

I bought the 1624-44 Nova size was perfect for my setup apart from having to use the belt change which in my case as a Hobbiest I am well pleased and for the price I dont think I would I could get anything to out do it. However if I were going to try make a living from turning I would buy a Vicmarc 300, A pro. turner Glenn Lucas who is just down the road from mehas just got 4 for teaching with,and they are the Bees knees. but at a cost. I think Mark Baker is doing an article on his set up.
Hope this has been some help to you I'm sure everyone has the best lathe there is.But I can tell you I had 3 crocks before this one and my advice to you is "if it's new and cheap walk away" It can also be expensive and unless you have very good reports from more experienced people than me GET ON YOUR HORSE. REgards Boysie

Hi guys,

I have heard of a few people who own Nova lathes and are over the moon with them. I personally have used them a couple of times when demonstrating and think they are a bit over rated. When I eventually get round to upgrading from my trusty Jet 1442 I am pretty sure I will be going for the Wivamac 1200. Take a look at the Toolpost website for more info.

HTH,

Richard

what you need is a vb36- made in the u.k and perfect in every way. :D
the 3-4 month wainting list says it all.
I have also had a few lemons before owning the vb but I am now completley happy and cannot ever see me changing.

Argee":28so6znk said:
cornucopia":28so6znk said:
what you need is a vb36- made in the u.k and perfect in every way.
The OP said "a couple of grand to spare," not £5,300 for the basic model with tailstock! :)

Ray

Ray , I think the comment may be a ( gloat ) judging by the :D

And well deserved :lol: , If I had the pennies I may just be tempted myself :p

a couple....... a few........ makes all the diffrence?!?!?!?!

the base model wasnt 5300 when i bought mine i seem to remember 3 ish :lol:

cornucopia":zofdccjy said:
what you need is a vb36- made in the u.k and perfect in every way.

The base model wasn't 5300 when I bought mine I seem to remember 3 ish.
I wasn't having a pop, plus I also dream of having a VB. They're made just down the road from me, so I do know how good they are. However, I didn't want to get the OP's hopes (even his dream hopes) up too high! Have a look at the configuration page on Hegner's site and specify a lathe - it calculates the price for you. I went for one with a tailstock due to like-for-like comparison, although it's a bit less without one. :)

Ray

no offence taken young argee :D
i know how lucky i am to have the lathe i have- thats why i sleep in my workshop so she doesnt get lonley and refuse to turn for me :lol: :roll:

George, I thought your avatar was a clown or Punch from Punch and Judy. I have just realised it's a large bird perched on something.
Perhaps that will give an insight into what I turn,I think it's a Bowl and everyone else say it's a vase. But one day it will be blindingly clear it's a Candlestick. REgards Boysie

Back