drawer divider/shelf joinery

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madge

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm making a bedside table, very simple design with one drawer at the top and a shelf below. Just deliberating how to join the shelf and the drawer divider (both solid panels) into the carcass sides. I was thinking a stopped dado with a small shoulder of 1-2mm on the panels to hide any gaps might work but would this be sufficient considering there wouldn't be any long grain/long grain glue area? Should I add in some tenons?

On a related note can anyone recommend good books on carcass construction and furniture construction generally, maybe including step by step projects?

Hi Madge.

I can't suggest anything better than:

Any book on woodworking joints, or construction by Charles H. Hayward. (Evans Publishing)

I've seen these shelves joined using sliding dovetail housings, straight 'dadoes' and even stub tenons. If you are using solid wood you could do worse than a stopped sliding dovetail, but it demands care in measurement to get the front shoulder tight.

Have you thought of holes in the sides to fit adjustable supports? Or maybe library shelving strip? It's an opt-out, but you never know when an adjustable shelf will be useful.

You could also make a shallow drawer, with the bottom wider than the drawer itself. The bottom of the drawer fits into and slides along a dado in each side panel, providing a pull-out shelf, for easy access.

HTH

Back