Drawer Construction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie Woody

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I need to make 4 drawers - approx 195 high, 550 deep, 500 wide (less clearance for full extension slides) - and wonder if it would be ok to biscuit joint them (purists look away now!!!)

As the fronts will need to be slightly wider to allow for the slides the front biscuits would be running front to back, while the back ones can run side to side. Would this construction be strong enough?

My dovetailing skills are heavily challenged hence this idea.

As usual all suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi, Charlie

I have made draws with biscuits and they are still holding up, some of them are bigger than yours.
You might be better using a flase front so the sides overlap the front and alowing the biscuits to be put in sideways, thats how mine are made.

Pete

If you want to avoid dovetails you could make drawer lock joints. Substitute a router cutter for the saw used in this example. They are quite quick and easy and reasonably strong.

hi I used a simliar method but on a router table, the stock was 1/2" mainly some old ply but the pics show some cheap pine.

I put a 1/4 spacer on the router fence.

box1.jpg

cut the end

box3.jpg

Then remove the spacer and cut the sides

box4.jpg

box5.jpg

this way you only need set the router once.

Back