Doweling jig part 1

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niki

Established Member
Reaction score
Good day

Today its my birthday (61), so I would like to share with you a doweling jig.

I will post it in two parts; the first is building of the jig and the second will be using of the jig which I'll post as soon as I finish to attach the text on the pictures.

I know that not everything is mentioned on the pictures so if you have any question please go ahead.

I apologize for the spelling mistakes in advance, please feel free to correct me (at least Ill learn).

Very old and not effective idea

Best regards
niki

Happy birthday Niki. You're exactly six months older than me!

I'm glad to see that somebody else still uses dowels rather than biscuits. I've used them for many years and never had a joint fail.

I notice that you often use a caliper for accurate measurement. I've been thinking about getting one. In your experience, can they stand up to normal workshop use and stay accurate?

Regards.

Thanks for the greetings

Well, I'm used to it, I had already 60 of them, you know.

Evergreen
I'm also using dowels for the last 10 years and no failure.
What I like about dowels is that once you drill them accurately, everything stays in place and nothing will move during gluing, that's the reason that I improved the jig for maximum accuracy (also, instead of biscuit joiner I can by a very good router).

I have 4 of those calipers and still using the same one most of the time for the last 10 years and its still accurate like the other newer ones (mine are "made in Swiss") even though I dropped it a few times.

Thanks again
niki

Back