dowel jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Established Member
Reaction score
i am sure it has been covered

I need a simple dowel jig
dont need to go in centre of board just "t" joints along narrow edge...15mm
i.e. mortise tenon

Steve

I've got the wolfcraft one and it does the job. Got a domino now though so it doesn't get used all the time

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

+1 for the Wolfcraft Good video on YouTube on how to use it should also give you an idea if it is suitable for what you want.

i bought the wolfcraft :(

it self centres ....but needs a decent size timber to work
I looked at joint genie but that wants to reference to an end

i think i will have to make my own :x
dowel.jpg

drilling holes in A is easy on drill press
drilling holes in B is stressing me out

is there a jig that will do this accurately?

Steve

Attachments

• dowel.jpg
    dowel.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 2,524
SteveF":37pbvksc said:

I just tried something with a piece of 19x32mm. What I did was clamp a piece of scrap either side of the workpiece (giving me a piece 19 x 96 mm) and this made it long enough to allow me to centre a 6mm dowel on the workpiece using a Wolfcraft doweling jig.

Perhaps quick jig of a piece of scrap, the same as your workpiece, held either side by a sandwich of hardboard?

Hardboard Hardboard Hardboard
Scrap Workpiece Scrap

nanscombe":jved20ih said:
SteveF":jved20ih said:

I just tried something with a piece of 19x32mm. What I did was clamp a piece of scrap either side of the workpiece (giving me a piece 19 x 96 mm) and this made it long enough to allow me to centre a 6mm dowel on the workpiece using a Wolfcraft doweling jig.

Perhaps quick jig of a piece of scrap, the same as your workpiece, held either side by a sandwich of hardboard?

Scrap Workpiece Scrap

U Sir are a genius

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Steve

:oops: :oops: I'm glad I could help.

I actually did something similar a while ago when I wanted to do some repeatable work, cutting half laps, on the end of some small timbers.

I basically made a jig that slipped over the end and allowed me to saw in the correct place.

If you did make a sandwich type jig, using scrap pieces you may wish to use a sheet or two of paper on one side to provide a bit of clearance for a less tight fit, it's not much but makes sure you don't have to force the workpiece in.

Scrap Workpiece Scrap
Paper Paper Paper

Then cut the excess paper away from the inside of the jig.

Scrap Workpiece Scrap
Paper -------- Paper

A picture is so much better than words ...

i cant thank you enough

i have been stressing for weeks over this
I abandoned all work on my WIP weekend just gone as couldn't get my head around this issue

Steve

I'm a huge fan of making all my own jigs.

For doweling holes I used to just use a piece of hard board and a decent piece of hard wood with bolts through it and a slots cut into the hard board for it to slide up and down on for positioning.

These days I use metal strips with appropriate holes cut to size. The principle is exactly the same as using hard board and hard wood as the backing plate but it has the advantage that if you go off a little with a hand drill the bit doesn't chew the hole away as it would with wood.

Wood working and metal work together can be and in my experience is a very good combination though care has to be taken when inserting any spinning tool into a hole cut out of metal. Usually the worst that happens is that it'll blunt the bit, in an extreme case it'll jam and spin the drill so my advice if using this method is to use a torque adjustable battery operated power driver to start the hole in the material then change the torque to drill once the hole has been started.

If the hardboard makes it too large to fit in the jaws of the Wolfcraft jig just reduce the size leaving the top, say 15mm, proud.

That's odd, I'm getting a strange craving for an ice lolly. :wink:

Theory is one thing ...

Two 6mm holes, drilled using a Wolfcraft dowel jig (tight squeeze but it did it), in the end of a piece of 19 x 32 mm.

I used a red pen to add a bit of contrast between the scrap pieces and the workpiece, and pushed it up proud when I'd finished.

An alternative that springs to mind is, if you have multiple pieces to do, simply gang a few together to give you some extra width.

Sometimes I tend to get an idea for a solution which will work, then find a simpler alternative. :oops:

Back