Dovetailed chest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longinthetooth

Established Member
Reaction score
How would you cut all these dovetails? (yes, they do protrude 2 or 3mm for sculptural effect.) I suppose you think that you need to buy some expensive gadget?

Well, there are no routers, dovetail machines or jigs involved here!

I'll also bet that I cut them faster than it would take to set up one of those bank-account-breaking gizmos.

The fit? It's a friction fit (an interference fit). I drove them home with a mallet and a block of wood.

Native oak.
oak dovetails.jpg

Attachments

• oak dovetails.jpg
    oak dovetails.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 1,514
coffer3.jpg
coffer2.jpg

The gas struts were the customer's request. Both those and the hinges are stainless steel. Top is stiffened with the two visible dovetail-section cleats. The coffer is about 450mm high (closed).

Attachments

• coffer2.jpg
    coffer2.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 1,367
  • coffer3.jpg
    coffer3.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 1,367
You gonna tell us how you did them dovetails then? I am sure there are a few members who are interested. Nice chest by the way. :wink:

Have a team of tame rats trained to gnaw to a line. Lots of rat food and keep them at it.

Sorry for that diversion. In due course ... not that I remember everything, since it was about 4 yrs ago, but might try to reverse-engineer it.

Struts can't remember but could prob look it up in my haphazard records. I just googled for firms that did them (as you do).

Yes, of course I use the rats for other jobs too, so their feed bill pans out across a range of work and is still far cheaper over the span of a decade than the initial cost of one of those gizmos. (Can any of those gizmos do 450mm wide, I've never looked?). The rats do wear out in time (the teeth first) but since they tend to breed in off-duty hours, the workforce is self-replenishing.

Back