Dovetail Jig... Leigh kind of thing!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Stig

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at some dovetail jigs especially the Leigh ones on the Axminster site and was wondering if anyone owned one and if so how they rated it?

Very versatile, well made and accurate. The ultimate jig for volume production, however if as I do, you use one just now and then, it takes me an inordinate amount of time to re-read and understand the setup instructions and procedures. In short, for one-off jobs it can be a right faff and take just as long as it would to cut the things the old-fashioned way! I was thinking of selling mine a while back because of that, but with the crunch 'an all that, I don't think I would get what I would like for it, and anyway it's long since paid for.

cheers,

Ike

I've had a 24" D4 for several vears and I does what it says on the tin. The adjustability of the spacing is good to have and once you get used to setting it up its very easy to use. Get the new style dust collector it collects 99% of whats thrown out.

Recently did 26 draws for this kitchen without any problems. Make sure you get 8mm shank cutters, preferably Leigh ones with the longer shanks as the 1/4" ones from other makers chatter too much and cut oversize.

Couple of other items done with it here and here

Jason

Key thing for me is whether or not you are prepared for the dovetail layout to drive the dimensions of your box/drawers etc.

If you can live with this then there are many and various fixed spacing jigs and the choice comes down to effective clamping, rigidity and repeatability.

If you want to make classic boxes by cutting the lid off after assembly or make drawers of an specified dimension, then you need an adjustable jig of the leigh style.

Like Jason I have the d4 and cannot fault it. In the last year or so, leigh have brought out a much cheaper range of jigs and I don't know if this has led to operating compromises.
In my book either buy a s/h D4 from Flea bay or a new cheaper leigh if they are just as good.

Does anyone have experience of both leighs and care to give us a comparison??

Bob

I'm a D4 user as well and apart from the above mentioned re-reading of the instructions which can be a bit of a pain (but then most dovetail jigs need a bit of 'refreshing' before use) I think it's a great bit of kit and wouldn't swap it for any other.

It's a shame the other jig bars are so expensive but then I'll just have to save up!

I reckon it'll last my lifetime if I look after it.

The only difference between the D4 and the new superjigs is the pin size is fixed on the superjigs unlike the D4 which you can have variable pin sizes. Hence the cheaper price.

The new ones are just as well made as the older ones.
And as Jason says stick with the Leigh cutters and the dust extractor is also a support device for the router, worth having imho.

gardenshed":1zgmoeyd said:
The only difference between the D4 and the new superjigs is the pin size is fixed on the superjigs unlike the D4 which you can have variable pin sizes. Hence the cheaper price.

The new ones are just as well made as the older ones.
And as Jason says stick with the Leigh cutters and the dust extractor is also a support device for the router, worth having imho.

Thanks for that gardenshed. I assume a fixed pin size mean a different finger design and half as many finger pieces to supply.

Bob

I may have a Leigh Super 18 for sale if anyone is interested?

Got to agree with everyone else on here that the Leigh jig is the jewel in the crown for dovetails, I have used one and can verify that...but it is expensive for occasional use. I personally prefer the Dakota jig for my dovetails as it is quick and easy to use and set up. It is however set spacing on the pins and tails and it can only make through dovetails but they are very accurate. I find that with the Leigh and cheaper dovetail jigs you can spend more time setting them up than cutting the joints. JMHO. :wink:

I know but sometimes I just want to do the job spot on first time and a jig will 99.9% of the time give perfect results if set up correctly.

My hand-eye co-ordination will give a 50/50 chance of success, lol.

Stig it looks like i'm the only one at the moment to say a little on the woodrat. To cut a long story short, the rat as far as my say is worth does more than dovetails, and some fine traditional ones to. But you name a wood joint, it will with the correct cutter and settings perform. I would go on and on, have a look at my blog. The angle draw with dovetails.

The_Stig":vx10812y said:
What you looking for it?

I might happen to take it off your hands :D

I have the Super 18 AND the accessory kit. Bought very recently. Comes with all the excellent instructional DVD's. Used once and the reason for sale is when I look my tuit list, I don't need to make dovetails for a very long time. It made the dovetails on my Baby Walker and has received plenty of ooh's and Aaah's from people who don't know what a jig is ;)

Make me an offer, open to all.

I'm also not fussed about selling it, so no sily offers pls ;)

I had the Leigh when it was the D3. Excellent piece of kit, great for volume work, indescribably frustrating for occasional use, just as Ike says. Do it put the workpiece in on the left? No, it's the right, Just a minute shouldn't it be face out? No, that's for the tails, oh I give up.

As Slim says, buy a good saw. By the time you've set up the jig and had a practice you could have mastered the saw and had the pleasure of working quietly.

If you want speed and accuracy with almost the same flexibility as by hand, but with more consistent results, do them on the bandsaw. Mark Duginski explains it in his book and I'm writing a video script for it as we speak!

Cheers
Steve

The_Stig":3oi1znx2 said:
Is the WoodRat any good?
I have to say that the rat will be one of the next machines which I will be getting (after the "ultimate" dust solution) as it looks so competent. I'm a little concerned that there is still a skill curve to climb with the rat to access all that it does and I'm not thrilled by the method of feeding long lengths of wood through it however I think that these things can be overcome and it does so much more than just dovetails and may even replace the somewhat under utilised router table hiding under the bench....

Miles

I have recently purchased a Leigh Super 18 jig. I am impressed with the DVD and the instructions. I am about to use it for the first time. For those who have a Leigh jig would you place a sacrificial piece in the jig to prevent breakout. Neither the DVD or instructions give any advice on this. I assume for through dovetails that the sacrificial piece would go on the horizontal section of the jig right behind the piece that was being worked on so that the angles would not be effected by an additional thickness.

Thanks

Haggis":6l7z7gzc said:
I am about to use it for the first time. For those who have a Leigh jig would you place a sacrificial piece in the jig to prevent breakout. Neither the DVD or instructions give any advice on this. thickness.

Thanks

Advice is indeed in the instruction book, i have just read it :D

Latest posts

Back