Dovecotes and wood movement

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charvercarver

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello (again), I've recently started volunteering for a charity that is attached to a garden centre. This means I have pretty much unlimited access to pallet wood. To help raise money I thought I would build a dovecote as they seem to sell for quite a bit.

The problem is that from what I can see dovecotes use marine ply for the chambers and tongue n groove for the outside. So my question is would glued up pallet wood (planned and dimensioned of course) panels be suitable? My main worry is that the wood movement would bust everything apart or at least ruin the long mitres on the outside.

Incidentally if any of you had access to all the pallet wood you could ever want, what would you build that would raise the most money?

Cheers, Jon.

charvercarver":3scyjqzi said:
Incidentally if any of you had access to all the pallet wood you could ever want, what would you build that would raise the most money?

Cheers, Jon.

Hi Jon.

Oddly enough, there have been a few 'pallet-wood' coffee tables exhibited on the forum which were quite well received. They fall into a particular bracket, but I'm not sure what it's called. They definitely had a charm of their own.

Roy

charvercarver":3ue8r0xd said:
Hello (again), I've recently started volunteering for a charity that is attached to a garden centre. This means I have pretty much unlimited access to pallet wood. To help raise money I thought I would build a dovecote as they seem to sell for quite a bit.

The problem is that from what I can see dovecotes use marine ply for the chambers and tongue n groove for the outside. So my question is would glued up pallet wood (planned and dimensioned of course) panels be suitable? My main worry is that the wood movement would bust everything apart or at least ruin the long mitres on the outside.

Cheers, Jon.

what about some simple raised beds- you would have the ideal passing trade at the garden centre

charvercarver":8ysksqip said:

Cheers, Jon.

Have a look at threads on planters - most gardens will have room for one or two.

The front of this site (the bit that isn't the forum, that we all forget about) has a detailed project here - but for some in recycled wood, look at this thread from Lee.

Jon wrote: "if any of you had access to all the pallet wood you could ever want, what would you build that would raise the most money?"

A hog roast.

IME the biggest trouble with pallets is getting them apart cleanly. The wood may be no worse than the average Bee&Queue offering but it's those damn ringed nails that the wood will much sooner break around than pull out. I know there is a special word for them but I'm nor allowed to use it here...

I built my walk-in chicken run and coop using pallet wood from Freecycle, the pallets came from a BMW motorcycle dealership and had only been used once to deliver the bikes from the factory to the showroom, the wood was excellent quality and in very good condition.

The best bit was that the guy who Freecycled them dismantled the pallets, removed all the screws and nails, and insisted on delivering them to me for free in their van!

I also keep doves and built my own dovecote a couple of years ago, I used ply offcuts from work, all exterior grade, marine shouldn't be neccessary (the main difference between marine and exterior is the timber species used, and marine shouldn't have any voids which are allowable in exterior, both are WBP).

The outside of the box is Wickes 8mm T&G Cladding left over from doing my hallway, I gave it several coats of Cuprinol Garden Shades paint and it's holding up really well, it stands in the middle of the garden so it's exposed to full sun, wind, rain, snow, and there's no sign of any movement at all which surpised me, I fully expected to have repainted it by now but it hasn't been neccessary. The interior isn't treated at all.

Doorframe:

That sounds interesting, the students often work on recycling so it would suit the ethos of the place.

Macros:

They already make those, birdhouses and bird feeders as well. I'm really looking for something that could bring in quite a big bit of cash.

AndyT:

Thanks for the links, I don't know if they make planters. I'll have to see how much they go for.

Richard T:

I agree but that is what there is to work with.

Lowlife:

Have you noticed any problems with your chicken coop? Also do you think glued up solid panels would be ok in place of t'n'g and plywood? Regarding dovecotes did you make part of it removeable for cleaning, or is that not necessary?

Cheers, Jon.

charvercarver":1kma2cuj said:
Lowlife:

Have you noticed any problems with your chicken coop? Also do you think glued up solid panels would be ok in place of t'n'g and plywood? Regarding dovecotes did you make part of it removeable for cleaning, or is that not necessary?

Cheers, Jon.

No problems with the coop at all, I just used some water based fence paint on all the wood and it's holding up fine after 4 years or so, it has a corrugated plastic roof and is in a secluded corner of the garden surrounded by trees and bushes, so it's sheltered from the worst of the weather.

No I didn't make any removable parts in the dovecote, it's hexagonal in shape and it would have been difficult to do, but cleaning is easy using a long handled scraper through the doorways. The doves have bred since I got them back in April, I started with four and there are nine now, I've had four chicks hatch and survive, and one stray adult bird that just turned up one day and stayed!

The dovecote is now overcrowded and three birds regularly sleep either on the guttering on one corner of the house, or on the feeding table, I need to make another dovecote really as they make quite a mess on the decking below, and I'll probably have to start selling any new chicks once that one is full too.

Doorframe:

Errmm, isn't that just some castors on a pallet?

Lowlife:

That's good to know about the coop. It seems like removable parts arent necessary for the dovecote, which simplifies things a bit. Do you reckon I'd be okay using glue-ups instead of plywood?

Cheers, Jon

charvercarver":24tt3hz1 said:
Doorframe:

Errmm, isn't that just some castors on a pallet?

Cheers, Jon

You got it.... and an absolute 'must-have' at £250, don't you think.

Well, you did ask..........

charvercarver":24tt3hz1 said:
if any of you had access to all the pallet wood you could ever want, what would you build that would raise the most money?

Roy

Doorframe:

If I could get hold of that places customers I reckon I could be set for life with one visit to the tip.

charvercarver":359b5ob9 said:
Do you reckon I'd be okay using glue-ups instead of plywood?

If it's properly designed the interior of the dovecote should never get wet, it may get a bit damp from droppings especially when there are chicks in the box, but as long as you use a good exterior adhesive it should be fine, I recommend PU adhesive which is what I use on most of my outdoor projects.

Back