Douglas Fir Timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hibbo

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Does any one know if Doug Fir is any good for manufacturing external windows and doors, as i have a client who wants to supply his own materials for me to manufacture with.
The timber has been air drying for around 8 months so i know i will need to moisture test it, but im just unsure if it is the correct material for painted box sash windows.
Any info would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Hibbo

I would not presume to be an expert but Douglas Fir has always been used for back doors (to be painted)

Yes it's durable, straight and fairly knot free but does contain resin pockets that will bleed, and can be a pita to machine sometimes due to splitting.
I would want to know more about the quality of the timber though, if its only 8 months air dry it is presumably local grown stuff so won't be graded, and I thought it was normally used for garden sleepers/fencing type work.

Thanks for the advise it is grown and cut in Scotland by the customer as he has his own saw mill and i have been told it is all prime grade, so i think my main concern is that the moisture content is correct before manufacture.

Thanks

Hibbo

Ah! well it sounds as though he should know what he doing then, and if it's for his own house then it probably will be top stuff.

Hi hibbo,

Douglas fir is excellent for doors and windows. I would check the moisture, and keep the grain as close to quarter sawn as possible. Prime with a good oil based primer, and finish with a good top coat. Jamey

Most window and door sections are made from 63mm and 75mm thick material, Im not sure that it would be dry in 8 months air dried.

Dug fir is an excellent timber for joinery. As mentioned above, resin pockets and splits are a pain

Latest posts

Back