Double sided tape

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyos

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Woodworkers

Can someone advise me on the use off this tape?

I bought a roll from a local DIY shop,but it seems most unsuitable.
It seems very messy and gooey, and would be difficult to clean off after use.

Is there a particular type/grade for woodworking? I have watched videos and they make it seem so simple, but I have never seen them cleaning it off afterwards. Theirs seem to be firmer in texture and easier to use.

I made a router planing jig and will need it to hold the work down.

guyos

I think you get what you pay for in the double sided tape market. Inexpensive tape seems to be a thin tape coated both sides in adhesive. Good stuff - "branded" - seems to be just adhesive. Whatever you get, if it is going to hold work it must, by definition, stick to the work. When working I used a lot of double sided tape holding acrylic to MDF for CNC machining. Because the tape was such a pain to remove we usually left the protective plastic layer on the acrylic sheet, which we then peeled off after machining double sided tape and all. The MDF was scraped clean but ultimately scrapped. White spirit will usually remove the glue residue.

Bob

Bob

You are making an excellent case for vacuum hold-down and onion skinning there! I certainly used to buy a special double-sided tape from the USA which seemed to get round many of the problems, however it wasn't cheap.

Scrit

HI Guyos
I use two different types of DS tape, but I'm afraid I don't know what the brand names are.

I have one roll which is thin, like Sellotape but DS.

I have another kind, sold for sticking down carpets, IIRC, which is thicker, rather more like sticking plaster.

I've also seen thicker stuff still, like foam, but I've not used it.

If you are having difficulty removing it, I recommend the use of lighter fuel.

HTH
Steve

I use a tape made by netto, £12 a roll but once stuck its impossible to remove, use it to stick sprayed glass panels on to high gloss doors.

Err, Senior, isn't that the exact opposite of the desired effect in a router jig? Useful to know, however

Scrit

Yep your absolutly right Scrit, but you know how you read a thread and by the time you get to the end you forget the original point...... problem is this thread is only 5 posts long ......... where am I ...... whats for tea....

And can you tell us who the prime minister is?

I am very keen to try and find a low tack double sided tape which releases easilty, without leaving horrible residue, particularly after clamping.

It must exist.

Any ideas please?

David Charlesworth

hi all i get mine from the local car boot sale at 50 pence a roll it does not leave any residue and is very strong but there is no name on it at all.next time i go i will see if i can get to know where he gets it from and then i will know who makes it.

Depending on what sort of application you're going to be using the double-sided tape for, you might be better off running a hot glue gun around the edges of your workpiece to temporarily hold it in place. The glue cleans up easily afterwards.

Gill

David C":1hc7ova9 said:
And can you tell us who the prime minister is?

I am very keen to try and find a low tack double sided tape which releases easilty, without leaving horrible residue, particularly after clamping.

It must exist.

Any ideas please?

David Charlesworth
David:

I haven't used it for woodworking but in my profession as a management consultant - post-it spray. It comes in cans, you spray it to one surface and it will hold other things to that surface until you remove it. Designed for wall-charting where you have to move stuff around. NB - if you leave it on for more than 12 hours it's stuck good! Try Staples or other office suppliers. About £5 a can last time I bought one.

Might not be strong enough for your application though?

David C":25glyjke said:
I am very keen to try and find a low tack double sided tape which releases easily, without leaving horrible residue, particularly after clamping.
David

The stuff I mentioned in passing in a previous post was Jig Tape from the All Star Adhesives in the USA. I used to get a friend to bring me a carton over from time to time, mainly because the cost of shipping it was extortionate. It was ideal for making small-component jigs on the CNC where the size of the component precluded the use of vacuum hold-down and it has a strong-enough bond to withstand the side force of a CNC router (circa 25kgf), so it might well be suitable for your purposes. The tape has an "aggressive" side (to go on the jig, but which definitely will mar the jig) and a "passive" side (to hold the work with minimal adhesive transfer or pick-up). It leaves minimal residue on the workpiece and doesn't pick-up much at all, even on raw MDF, but I'm not sure how well it would release after being subjected to clamping pressure. Perhaps John at All Star might be able to tell you.

Scrit

Thanks for the response,

The DS tape business seems like a minefield, the type I saw on the podcast video, was thin, crisp and clean, after the work was separated there was nothing to scrape off.

I need to hold work for planing with the router, I tried packing out the sides and using wedges, but the middle lifts up a bit. I will try Gill's glue gun system and see, as long as it will clean off OK.

guyos

Thank you very much chaps.

The post it spray and Scrit's american tape sound worth a try.

Love the description of Jig Tape. 'It never gets confused'.

I don't really want to secure inlay thickness 'boards' with hot melt glue.

David Charlesworth

Back