Double hip door canopy roof

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bouba

Reaction score
Hi,
I am a new member on this site.My name is Ray and I have been directed to this website from another forum.I would like some help please or guidance as to what to do.

Thieves have recently stolen my lead flashing from my front door canopy.In the process not only they have damages the whole canopy but also my arched lintel has been cracked.Sadly whole of the canopy had to be scrapped due to it being a hazard while opening door.

Please advice how i could build a double hip framed canopy.I have 2 6inch x6 inch timber posts that I would like to use a support on either side.The size of my front area to be covered is 2.6 metres wide and 1.3 metres projection without the guttering.

Apologies I do not know how this site works.I am not a spammer and would like someone to either build one for me or guide me where to buy readymade if self build is not an option.
Thank you

Firstly, welcome to the Forum. I think you have come to the right place. I am not in a position to assist fully, but the following link, will take you to a thread that might be of interest.

plans-for-a-door-canopy-t36545.html

I don't know if that member still posts on the Forum, but is that the sort of canopy you mean?
You won't be able to contact the member by Private Message, (PM) until you have posted three or four times. You won't be able to post pictures either, for the same reason.

I hope this helps.

John

I suggest you take as many pictures of the existing canopy and/or parts if you still have them.

It may be easiest to replicate exactly.

DT

Thank you. Charlie it is not the same style. I have already scrapped the old one so cannot replicate.

The canopy I am referring to hasa pitch on the front and 2 A's on both sides (if that makes sense). I have a picture but unable to post. Its called double hip roof canopy on google.

Benchwayze":1rvdsgea said:
Firstly, welcome to the Forum. I think you have come to the right place. I am not in a position to assist fully, but the following link, will take you to a thread that might be of interest.

plans-for-a-door-canopy-t36545.html

I don't know if that member still posts on the Forum, but is that the sort of canopy you mean?
You won't be able to contact the member by Private Message, (PM) until you have posted three or four times. You won't be able to post pictures either, for the same reason.

I hope this helps.

John

I think when he says double hipped he means basically a sloped canopy with side slopes as well. :)

Whoever builds it, just don't make the same mistake as the cowboys who built the one over the road from me - the return facets are 6" higher than the front facet because they cabbage up the hip angles :shock: This led to different fascia heights and different gutter heights. I'll get a pic later :lol:

Mmuk: i think you have an idea. Can this be done readymade or will it be made to order.

Bouba,

I think I should have explained... I know the link I gave wasn't exactly what you wanted, in design; but it was all I could find on UKW search. I just felt that anyone who could build the example I showed, might be able to help.

I think I might have a go at putting tiled or shingled roofing over my porch! What d'you say Steve?

John

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but if it is this was constructed in situ in a day by a carpenter and his mate.

=D> that is my roof. Only difference is it has timber posts rather than gallow brackets.

b-58-162.jpg

http://www.canopyproducts.co.uk/product ... oductID=58 gives a fairly comprehensive spec list if one is considering making ones own.

No honestly it's my roof and I've got the receipt to prove it lol. I don't think you can get this type of roof ready made but I might be wrong. To start off you will need to bolt two lengths of 4" x 2" sawn timber to the wall the angle of the roof is at 45 degree's. I'll health forced me to get in a carpenter to do the job but 10 years ago I would have done this myself no problem. All the materials and labour cost me £1,000 in January this year.

Thank you everyone. Very very helpful. Can you all be my friends. :D

Is it easy to get angles right. I am fairly good with diy. I understand the concept of bolting 4x2 using coach bolts. Is there a tool for getting angles right.

Carpenters 45/90 deg set square will give you the 45 deg angle but all you need to do to give you an idea of where things will go is cut a 45 deg angle on the end of a length of 4" x 2" and hold it in place if you know what I mean. That way you will be able to judge the height and depth of the roof. The higher you go the more depth you will get.

Seems the guys have sorted the roof for you. With reguard to the flashing you can get lead replacement flashing. It looks similar to lead, but isn't lead. So could be a better option unless you need lead?

Benchwayze":3cth8y3a said:
I think I might have a go at putting tiled or shingled roofing over my porch! What d'you say Steve?

John

I think it's preferable to the flat roof. I would recommend the steel tile sheets I mentioned when I saw you, massive weight saving (around 95%) over pan tiles. I'll bring a sample up to show you over the weekend.

carlb40":1ic9yn8w said:
Seems the guys have sorted the roof for you. With reguard to the flashing you can get lead replacement flashing. It looks similar to lead, but isn't lead. So could be a better option unless you need lead?

If he can have a lead soaker channel fitted then he could fit the ABS plastic dry flashing designed for conservatories. It's an Ultraframe product btw :)

Bouba,

One of these might be what you need.

They are available in 6 inch and 12 inch format, and can be bought in UK.

HTH

John

Attachments

• Swanson Speed squr.JPG
    Swanson Speed squr.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 17
Back