Double ground vs triple ground teeth on a handsaw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cup of tea

Reaction score
Wondering what the difference is between double and triple ground teeth on handsaws? Manufactures make claims that the triple ground cut 50% faster, can cut on both the push and pull stroke, and give a smoother finish.

But is any of this true in reality or just marketing? Have you got enough experience in both to notice the difference?

I typically use a Bahco Barracuda 22", which is double ground. Am I missing anything, as most of the other are now triple?

I suggest it's simply marketing. I have both push saws (grew up using them) and a couple of Japanese pull saws. Horses for courses. Thinking about how I saw with both types I always relieve the pressure on the back stroke. Not sure I'd be sawing in both directions so not faster for me. IMHO manufacturer's claims and Brexit claims are remarkably similar.
Martin

Reminds me of the new razors they're always bringing out, each one with an additional blade. I use a traditional razor with blades made by Feather in Japan, and it beats any of them

It is the ratio of "number of cutting edges" against "room in the gullets".
That is better on japanese theeth than on western teeth.
The japanes toothing can be watched as a western toothing,
but added another gullet at the ground of the usual gullet.
You get a pitch of may 19 TPI, but the size of the gullets is 7 TPI.

Maybe i should try drawings. Sorry for my words.

The arrises you actually see on western fine woodworking are formed on cross grain surfaces by a knife, and on long grain surfaces by a hand plane. One cuts wide of a line and cleans to the line, or splits the line leaving the arris formed by a knife. Western saws do not produce a finished arris, except for very fine joinery cuts and not always then (if you've ever experienced unfortunate spelching on a dovetail with grain running off the edge).

It's like airplanes: if one wing is good, more must be better!
Airplane multi-wing.jpg

Back