Doors painted at last!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
I finally got the doors painted for the curved cabinet today. After levelling the cabinet and trimming the doors for fit. it was all go to get them primed and painted.

These are just out of the spray room.

I'd be interested in what paint you used and how you polished them up please.

Thanks

Did you manage to get a nice piano black finish on the doors ? I can't quite tell from the photos.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Yes Chippy, if you look at the shot of the doors open you can see on the left hand one the reflection of the frame in it. Well Mr yorke i use Morrells 2K solvent based lacquer and primer. When the panels come out of the spray room they look like the previous photo with a slight orange peel effect. (Two good top coats over two primer coats) After leaving them at least 24 hrs they are ready for polishing. First they are sanded down to flatten and remove the peel effect with 1500 wet grit. I then use a medium rubbing compound buffed by machine to bring out the high gloss. I use masking tape on the edges of the panels as it is very easy to remove the paint from the edges if you are not careful. Any swirl marks are removed with a little hand glaze on a cloth to give a very high lustre to the finish. It is always better the longer you can leave the paint to cure the better the finish will be as the paint will shrink back over a few days. HTH. :wink:

The unit is now finished. Just thought I would post up the shots of it with the handles fitted before it gets collected.

Now it's back to some more Oak. :D

Now that is a high gloss finish
=D> =D>
Well done Alan

I like the idea of taking the Photo to highlight just how glossy it is LOL

Roger

Absolutely stunning Alan !!!!! I like everything about it ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300

Well it has been a long time coming but here are some shots of the cabinet in place in the customers home. I am pretty pleased with the outcome. :D

Very very nice, that's the finish I would like on a box I want to make, (it will be next year whe it's warmer) the only problem is I don't have any spray equipment! Would I be able to get the same finish if I brush painted a few more top coats then sand wet with 1500 wet or dry to remove the brush marks?

Baldhead

Back