Dominoes in Outdoor Furniture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross K

Established Member
Reaction score
Latest completed commssion - a pair of oak outdoor memorial benches.

Big and slabby, air dried Scottish oak finished to 40/48mm thick.

Armrests fixed with eight oak-pegged loose tenons (home made kiln dried oak dominoes). Bottom sections of sides located with further pegged loose tenons (oak dominoes).

The front rail ends are also located and glued with three oak dominoes.

The time saved vs using "traditionally"-made mortice and tenons is considerable and has turned the job into a nicely profitable one. Thank you again Mr Domino!

P1000930.jpg

P1000933b.jpg

I really like that Ross, thanks for posting it.

I like the fact that it has a very traditional 'bench' shape to it but the curves give it a real comfortable and unusual look.

Bet the client was well happy with it. :D

Thanks, Mark. The client hasn't seen it yet as I have to install it and before that arrange for a slate plaque to be made for each one. I designed the shape to complement the stone memorial that the pair of benches are to be placed next to.

Gidon, I used a 10mm cutter. No WIP pics sadly - I made it so quickly I forgot to take any!

Alan, I used Titebond III.

Nice work Ross.

Not exactly thrilled by the design to be honest. Just my opinion...

Certainly, I can't fault the work you did. For the moment I'm putting up with a B&Q Special!

:wink:

Regards
John

Did you coat it with finish coat? Any picture? Is it possible for me to order from you? Thanks.

I have to say when i first saw it i wasn't mad about the design though the craftsmanship looks excellent. The design has grown on my enormously and i think it is an excellent piece.
Well done Ross and thanks for posting. The pegged domino idea is excellent and one i intend to steal.
It looks like you could have a customer a couple of posts above!
Merry Christmas,
Mattty

bell22":1dxhiwhx said:
Did you coat it with finish coat? Any picture? Is it possible for me to order from you? Thanks.

No, no finish coating.

I posted the message to share information with the helpful chaps on here, rather than to covertly advertise, but I'm happy to take enquiries. PM me with your contact details.

Thanks for all the comments posted.

Latest posts

Back