Domino tips

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought it might to nice to have a thread on tips for using the Domino since its uses seem endless.

Tip 1 - quick clamping solution

I'm working on the floor of my shed and came up with this quick way of clamping anything anywhere - I've just cut some slots in some 4" bearers. Not quite the MFT but useful.

The 8mm cutter is a perfect fit for the Festool clamps in one hit. You could modify a clamp if you don't have the Festool ones.

Tip 2 - adjustable shelves

Got this from here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zky_hZc4c_E
Great tip for creating adjustable shelves. And unlike a lot of jigs takes about 10mins to make.
Rip some MDF to required shelf spacing. Crosscut to shelf depth. Use Domino dogs to cut 2 slots on edge from either end and stick a Domino in each slot (I used superglue).
Then on face opposite Dominos use dogs again to cut slots in from each end. Dry fit Dominos in these slots and then reference of the edge of the machine to cut a further 2 slots in from these 2.
Then use as per video. :)

Cheers

Gidon

When fitting a solid table top with buttons, use the large cutter to cut the slots for the buttons in the rails.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

gidon":2gx189ex said:
Thought it might to nice to have a thread on tips for using the Domino since its uses seem endless.

Tip 1 - quick clamping solution

I'm working on the floor of my shed and came up with this quick way of clamping anything anywhere - I've just cut some slots in some 4" bearers. Not quite the MFT but useful.

The 8mm cutter is a perfect fit for the Festool clamps in one hit. You could modify a clamp if you don't have the Festool ones.
I'd suggest that cutting domino slots in crapboard...sorry chipboard is going to drastically reduce the life of the cutters

Edit - if your going to mistreat you Dom like that I reckon it would find a kinder home in Wilton :lol: - Rob

Quick Shelf Holders

kitchen-6.jpg

kitchen-7.jpg

http://stusshed.wordpress.com/2009/11/1 ... hen-build/

gidon":r94y4bh5 said:
Tip 2 - adjustable shelves

Got this from here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zky_hZc4c_E
Great tip for creating adjustable shelves. And unlike a lot of jigs takes about 10mins to make.
Rip some MDF to required shelf spacing. Crosscut to shelf depth. Use Domino dogs to cut 2 slots on edge from either end and stick a Domino in each slot (I used superglue).
Then on face opposite Dominos use dogs again to cut slots in from each end. Dry fit Dominos in these slots and then reference of the edge of the machine to cut a further 2 slots in from these 2.
Then use as per video. :)

Cheers

Gidon

I like this. In fact, I liked it the moment I saw it on the tube. As I don't yet have a Domino, I sort of 'filed it'! Bet when I do have my Domino, I will forget about this. So can I make this work with a router too, so the idea is locked in! Wonder if I could?
Hmmmm !

Thanks for the reminder Gidon.

John :D

Yes very handy little jig - glad to remind you of it - but don't blame me if you end up buying Domino to try it out John!
Cheers
Gidon

gidon":3gy7061k said:
Yes very handy little jig - glad to remind you of it - but don't blame me if you end up buying Domino to try it out John!
Cheers
Gidon

Wellll, you know how these things go.... :D

woodbloke":3m8ei5k2 said:
Steve Maskery":3m8ei5k2 said:
Ah yes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr9XyRqK8oQ
I'd forgotten about that one! :)

S
I like that for the biscuiter, but I'll have to make mine one sided as I don't have a Domino :( - Rob

I think its about time you stooped harping on about not having one and go buy one, you really don't know what you're missing. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Waka,

I know what I'd be missing... £600+ quid! Lol!

While I am at it, do you still have a photograph of your welded , castored trolley on your planer?

Many thanks...
John

I would like to see some other crowd come up with a better unit for half the price.

Must be possible,I am sure the chinese could do it.

Well and truly over priced.

Cicero":1jfl8foo said:
I would like to see some other crowd come up with a better unit for half the price.

Having said that will be getting one in june.

Cicero":1htp2iig said:

Cicero,

If you were looking at the text in my sig, it's nothing to do with the price of the Domino. It's just a quote from a Nevil Shute novel, that rings a chord with me! :lol: :lol:

As for another crowd coming up with the Domino idea, Festool have patented the cutter designs and mechanisms, so that's why they can charge what they please, and only the Chinese would dare copy. :lol:
Regards
John :D

Back