Domino resale value?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tombo46

Established Member
Reaction score
Ello people. I'm currently building all new units for my shop (Greengrocers, not a work"shop"!). I've made sure I bought the proper tools for the job and progress is happening nicely. I am sure a domino would make my life a hell of a lot easier but it is a lot of money. I will be looking at selling most of my tools once the refit is completed to get some of the cost back. One of the reasons I have bought good quality tools is that they seem to have better resale value. I was wondering, what does a domino generalll fetch second hand if it's been looked after? Also. Which is the best one to go for? Is the 700 necessary or just needed for big work?

All the best,

Tom

Hello Tom, you'll get 70%+ of the new price on Ebay for a popular Festool item that's in very clean condition and still under the three year guarantee. But Ebay and Paypal fees will whittle away about 10% of your earnings. The joker in the pack is currency rates, if the Euro goes up or down against the pound Festool prices will move accordingly. If at some point the Euro falls apart and Germany goes back to the Deutschmark then Festool (and Felder, Mafell etc) will all be at least 30% more expensive than they are now. Ouch!

I have both the 500 and 700 and in my opinion you can get by just fine with the 500 unless you're making front doors or workbenches.

Agreed, the 500 is all you need for cabinetry work.
As regards interest rates, I don't understand why the Euro is so expensive. In the late noughties I went on hols to Barcelona and a Euro cost 60-odd pence. Now it is 83p and that after all the Euro-troubles. It doesn't make sense. I can only assume that the pound has simply dropped internationally even more.
We are worthless.
:(
On the other hand I suppose it is good for exporters.
S

GBP is actually strong against the USD at the moment - it's tickling my emigration plans...

You are right it is. But that doesn't explain why the cocked-up Euro is so strong vs Sterling. I just don't understand.
But we are getting OT quite quickly here.

To the OP - buy the Domino, it will make your life a lot easier. Sell it. Consider the difference a good investment in your business.
S

They have some cracking deals on Domino's at the moment. With the 500 and 700 (both with a Systainer full of Domino's) at £565 and £765 respectively, its a good time to buy.

You do need to factor in the speed in which you can complete your project with something like a Domino which impacts your costs.

Now's the right time to get a domino. They're on special offer with free domino systainer and cutter set. Also the prices have dropped and there's £50 off vouchers floating around valid until end of Feb.

A guy I work with ordered one Friday from http://www.powertool-supplies.co.uk through recommendation from me.

You could probably buy one now use it for a while then when you sell it you will make a profit. :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

chippy1970":xu7tpkvl said:
A guy I work with ordered one Friday from http://www.powertool-supples.com through recommendation from me.

+1 for Nuts & Bolts, took delivery of an OF1400 Router on Friday, there was a bit of a cock up with the couriers and Charlie at Nuts & Bolts went above and beyond to resolve it making sure the package was delivered properly.

Most companies will have minor issues now and then, but you can always get a good measure of a company in how they deal with them. I would recommend them without doubt.

I bought a lot of Festool stuff for building furniture for my new shop a few years ago - with the intent of selling them.

But haven't! And I have recently added more to the collection. But that's by the by.

Don't forget you need a good vac with the Domino too. I'd recommend the Festool Midi.

I used toolfest.co.uk most recently and their service has also been exemplary! Courteous and knowledgeable service from Warren, fast delivery and I even had a had a minor issue with the tool which Warren sorted very quickly. And their prices are also good.

Best way to check prices is to look on Ebay and select completed listings, used and sold:

eg:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat ... 00&_sop=16

Keep the Systainer and accessories in good condition if you can - will really help resale price. The 3 year warranty is with the tool so no probs passing it across.

Cheers

Gidon

Thanks for the input everyone. It would appear you have twisted my arm :p

Now all that's left is the age old question.... 500 or 700?

I am mostly working with old scaffold boards like this...

And turning them in to this sort of thing...

I will also be working a lot with pallet wood. I think the 700 would be better for the larger stuff but I'm concerned with how easy it is to use with the extra weight and size?

To be honest with boards of that size, I would imagine the 500 would suffice.

That said the 700 is not the unwieldy beast its made out to be.

Noooooo, stop with the temptation, my XL does all I ask, but the deals around at the moment are not doing me any favours.

I find myself justifying that I need a 500 as well.

Don't forget you need a good vac with the Domino too. I'd recommend the Festool Midi.

There's loads of cheap shop-vacs around - I paid about 70 quid for one from amazon, can't remember the make but it works perfectly with the domino, theres a power take off so it will come on auto when the domino's plugged into it and it came with an adapter that fits the domino. And can sweep the workshop floor with it at the end of the day. Can't see the benefit of spending £300+ on one.

Steve Maskery":15trufnr said:
You are right it is. But that doesn't explain why the cocked-up Euro is so strong vs Sterling. I just don't understand.
But we are getting OT quite quickly here.

S

I guess, because it isn't Co*ked up Steve. I know. Angela Merkel said so. :mrgreen:

To return to the OP; my Domino is not NFS! (hammer)

i'll totally give u 50 beans, magic beans for the domino when ur done :) or my first born which ever u prefer??

gidon":20aqiekx said:
I bought a lot of Festool stuff for building furniture for my new shop a few years ago - with the intent of selling them.

But haven't! And I have recently added more to the collection. But that's by the by.

Agree with Gidon, why on earth do you want to sell your tools when you produce such nice work like that??!! I'm desperately trying to save up for an XL before the offer ends, bought a DF500 a few weeks ago. A few years ago I used to think Festool were nice, but expensive, and I wasn't totally convinced with the whole domino concept before I bought a nice biscuit cutter, but after seeing how well Festool prices hold up (and the quality of their products, customer service plus some great dealers out there) I'm pretty much converted. The only problem i do still have is the price of the accessories and add ons :(

Latest posts

Back