Domino for £25!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought one back in the sale.
Not had much chance to try it out properly but seems to work well.

PS I also thought 'Poor Mans Domino' when I got it. :)

The positive aspects of this system, as I see them, is:-
Affordable
Relatively easy
Greater glue area in the joint
Longer/Deeper mortise and tenons possible

Negatives:-
Slower
Less adaptable
Difficult to produce your own tenons to suit (in a timber of your choice)
Longer set up time
Lack of easy repeatability
Tenon size fixed at 3/8" for 3/4" stock or greater (thinner stock i.e. drawer boxes ignored)
Beadlock tenons cost £34.75 per 100 @50mm length, Domino's cost for 10x50mm approx £13.00 per 100

While the cost of the Domino and let us not forget the need for dust extraction does seem high, the benefits for a professional in the woodworking field or a productive hobbiest are, frankly, impressive.
My Elu biscuit joiner was retired from the first moment I used a domino, but I do this for a living (albeit one I enjoy immensely :wink: )

Given the uses for the above advertised beadlock jig I think the Kreg screw based jig is a better option on a cost basis.

Rob.

I was given one of these, a sample kit when Trend released them a few years ago.

It sat there in the cupboard until one day when I had to repair a chair which had a broken tenon and I've got to say it worked brilliantly for that purpose.

I have done a couple since and keep it purely for that purpose.

The only prob is you cannot make the ribbed dowells easily albeit they are not that expensive to buy.

I cannot compare to a domino as never owned or used one - They appear too expensive for my liking.

Rog

Back