Domino anyone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

Looks ingenious! I understand the Domino 's appeal for commercial production use, but never for an amateur/hobby use. There are so many ways to make mortice and tenons without that amount of expense of a dedicated machine. A plunge router with 2 fences will make the same slots for almost nothing. I'm by no means a cheapskate, but the fascination with domino machines I lost on me.

Mike.

I made 11 kitchen cupboard doors most different sizes in a day with one, I would have one in a instant, if I didn't know some one who lends me his, thanks again Steve Maskery.

:D

Pete

I've got the smaller model the DF500, so far I have cut 4 joints with it (8 plunges) plus a couple for tests, plan to do some more joints tomorrow though :)

Do I need it? (not really), Do I like it? (Yep), If I didn't have it what would I have spent the money on? Don't know but I can't take it with me, will it make my woodworking easier? (definitely). Jobs a good-un.

I eventually got the DF 500 after thinking for years it was just a glorified biscuit jointer. Got to say it is one of my most used tools in my shop now along with the table saw. It is a lot of money to spend on a power tool but there is nothing out there to rival it for the small commercial shop as it saves so much time. I am definitely a convert and wouldn't be without mine. :wink:

Hello,

I suppose it is all about what you do. You can certainly break stuff out in a hurry, but if you actually take pleasure in woodworking then it is a bit self defeating. Commercial enterprise aside, where time is money, I think woodwork enthusiasts are robbing themselves of some satisfaction. There are some power tools that are labour saving and some which de-skills the craft. Domino for me is too much of the latter. It is funny that I actually like a degree of progress, I certainly don't think that woodworking as a craft should remain static. But when the semi-skilled or even unskilled can produce things, that are indistinguishable to the untrained patrons who buy the stuff, just by throwing money at the problem, then those who have the skill and want to use it, either become obsolete, or stop doing what they want and are dorced to jump on the power tool bandwagon. I'll bet a lot of commercial outfits even advertise Domino as traditional joinery, to their customers. And I'll bet many here will defend Domino AS the same thing, the subtle but important differences being lost, even on woodworkers themselves. It was partly the de-skilling of the craft that caused me to cease trading as a furniture maker. I suppose I could have got any amount of labour saving devices to reduce costs and stay in business. But then I would have been working in a noisy, dusty factory, instead of a workshop, and hated every minute. It was getting like that all the time, 'till I wondered where my enjoyment of the craft had gone. I would be serving fast food burgers instead of Cordon Bleu cuisine, and pretending people were as well fed and I was still a chef!

Mike

Whilst I can see the argument that a Domino slot can be made in other ways without an actual Domino tool, the same could be said for lots of other woodworking tools and methods.

My own opinion is that they are superbly engineered machines and worth every Deutsche Mark.

Latest posts

Back