Doing my public citizen bit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
I drive along the A4103 every morning. It is a dodgy, dangerous road. There are only a couple of safe overtaking places along my stretch. Frequent accidents and fatalities. Nearly everyday there is some fool who risks all our lives by overtaking dangerously. Don't get me wrong. I'm no angel when it comes to driving but I don't drive as dangerously and aggressively as these prats.

Like the plonker this morning who decided to first overtake me on a blind bend, across two double white lines, forcing the oncoming driver and me to emergency brake.

Then a few minutes later, deciding that even though there was a convoy of vehicles doing a steady 60 and closely spaced together, that he would overtake as many as he could and then force his way in somewhere down the line. Again making everyone anchor up sharpish because of his selfish driving.

Hah! Well, I followed one of the drivers carved up by this eejit and he's willing to make a statement to the police. As luck would have it I then spotted another driver from the same queue a bit further along and he too is willing to make a statement. So duly reported to the police and hopefully this plonker will get nicked.

Roger, let us know if it works - there are loads of times I'd like to report drivers on phones etc. (funnily enough - a high %age are young ladies.....)

NickWelford":1ozytngo said:
Roger, let us know if it works - there are loads of times I'd like to report drivers on phones etc. (funnily enough - a high %age are young ladies.....)

Well you could post an entry in www.betterdrivingplease.com if that helps. Mind you, although the basic idea of this site is sound, there are a fair few regular posters who, at best, should really get out a bit more!

:D on saturday I was driving on a by pass in poole (yes we have got one!!!) and in the outside lane was a young girl on the phone traveling about 35 MPH cars were coming up behind her and undertaking on the inside she was a danger to herself and other drivers . :twisted:

Martyn

It will be interesting to see if the police actually prosecute in this situation, as far as I understand they will only prosecute if the dangerous driving is actually witnessed by a police officer,

regards

brian

brianhabby":9z8eknfx said:
It will be interesting to see if the police actually prosecute in this situation, as far as I understand they will only prosecute if the dangerous driving is actually witnessed by a police officer,

regards

brian

That is what I thought and I wouldn't have bothered were it not for the fact that the other week I saw that someone had been prosecuted under similar circumstances. I was just as surprised as perhaps you are!

I walk about a mile and a half to work and can almost guarantee to see at least 2 drivers using hand held mobiles, either 'white van' drivers or women....when will people learn? I read recently in the Telegraph that HMG are thinking about increasing the sentence for using a hand held mobile 'fone to a max of 14 years in jail if it can be proved that death was directly caused by it's use whilst driving - Rob

Roger - I've wanted to do this so many times whilst on my 70 mile round-trip commute, and so I too would be very interested to know if you have any joy.
Hope you succeed.

My local police called me on my mobile and I agreed to go in yesterday to make a statement. Part of the normal procedure is to ask me if I wished them to proceed (if they thought a case could be made) and if I would be willing to attend a court hearing if it came to that.

They will contact the other two witnesses and if they are also willing to take the time out to go and make a statement then the whole caboodle is evaluated by the prosecution service to see whether or not there is a case to be made. If there is then they decide whether it is a case of offering driver retraining to the offender (the most likely option, I sense). This costs the driver time and about £200. The other option is taking the driver to court.

If the driver contests the case and/or refuses retraining then it would go to court but then, if the driver loses the case, he has to pay more and/or pick up more points on his licence.

Delightful WPC. Maybe that's what living in rural areas is all about

:wink: :wink:

Roger Sinden":n5aoqiw0 said:
I'm no angel when it comes to driving

I don't think Roger is saying he is 'has no stain' and like all of us has probably made mistakes when driving.
What Roger is acting against is an act of apparent sheer stupidity showing no regard for the law and thinking nothing of endangering other people's lives.
There is a difference between the two.

In my view Rogers actions were perfectly ok under the circumstances described and should be commended rather than criticized.

I have been driving for over 30 years and while I see countless stupid drivers every day I am willing to give some leeway (I know I make mistakes as well!).

Only once have I reported a driver. This guy followed my vehicle through a town centre about an inch from my boot. He hit the kerb on several occasions on both sides of the road caused a couple of drivers to take extreme evasive action. When we finally got a clear space of road on a dual carriageway I made sure he passed me asap. As soon as he got level I applied my brakes - just as well as the next moment he swerved inwards mounted the grass bank and sped off. Thought we were finally rid of him until we approached a roundabout and found he had gone around it the wrong way and was now heading straight for us. We were lucky that day!!

I reported the guy to the police from a nearby hotel giving my name address and home telephone number. I must say that I was somewhat disappointed by the response from the local police - "we will see if we can send someone out to find this driver". Unfortunately never heard anymore. The guy should have been locked up before he killed someone!!

Cheers :D
Tony

For all your edification I will recount a recent event that might remind us all that eventually people get what they deserve.

I drive every day across the New Forest on the A31, where I am regularly hassled and cut up by van drivers etc... as my version of 75mph at an appropriate braking distance behind the vehicle in front is just so inferior to their version of 75mph six feet off the bumper of the aforementioned vehicle in front. A few weeks ago some degenerate made his way down the road cutting people up, undertaking and generally being illegal till he ended up behind me, after a few miles furious headlight flashing and swearing he saw a gap inside me and undertook, cutting me up as he pulled back in, at least these 'people' are predictable and I had already put the brakes on to allow him to complete his little action.

The car beside me gave me a suitably understanding look of disbelief and a wave, reached down and switched on the blue lights, just for once there was a police officer around when you want one!

Right, wasn't there a woodwork forum round here somewhere?

Roger Sinden":2qxq88f1 said:
NickWelford":2qxq88f1 said:

Well you could post an entry in www.betterdrivingplease.com if that helps. Mind you, although the basic idea of this site is sound, there are a fair few regular posters who, at best, should really get out a bit more!

Just had a quick look at this site - someone called 'TelfordKev' appears to have reported over 200 drivers in the last week or so!

Anal retentive or what?

Instead of other gadgets fitted to motor vehicles I reckon a video type cam plus satellite location should be the norm front and rear with a tachograph fitted as standard

(The young ladies should have to drop in the recorded information daily to their local police station as well :roll: )

Although the police might not prosecute reported instances of dangerous driving I understand that there are occasions when they do make a visit to a drivers address and discuss a reported driving occurence. I suppose unless they get a written signed confession they cant do much about it.

You should try riding a motorcycle some day. It makes you really aware of what's going on around you as just about everyone out there seems to be out to kill you.

Seriously, though, it has been proved that young drivers who 'graduate' from a scooter or small motorbike to a car are better drivers simply because of the road awareness that they build up. I'be been riding motorbikes for almost 60 years now, but some days I still get really scared by someone. You get to know the roads the worst idiots are on - and avoid them. Unfortunately there are a number of stupid idiots out there on bikes that give the rest of us a bad name...

I suppose we have to remember the jails are full up and I expect the courts are too :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Back